Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I am completely new and need to know it all!

EmmyKink

Reaction score
Okay, now I have been officially have the ability to get my first axolotl, I have been doing so much research, but I find a lot of conflicting research, and my mind is scrambling.
I have not gotten my axolotl yet... wont be for about a month or two.. maybe even 3, but I want to know everything so when the time comes I am ready!
I am going to say what I already know or have:
I have a 20 gallon tank , I want to get a bigger one but for now it will be fine. Its 2 feet long, 1 foot wide , and 1'3 high. I have a sand bottom with large rocks , I have a hiding place and plants, I have a thermometer and a heater and a low flow filter.
I have a couple questions first of all...
1. Should I get one or 2 axolotls... I know my tank is small, but I don't know if axolotls are social (And I know when they are young they can't be together)
2. What is cycling the tank? I keep hearing it but... I don't know.
3. How do I clean the water? I know I am spouse to take a quarter out and replace it, but... what about ph and conditioning the water, what do I do?
4. What should I feed a young axolotl? Blood worms?
5.How much should I feed them? everyday, every other day?
I know this is a lot and I am sorry, but I want to be prepared for anything and everything.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Not necessary, they aren't social.
2. See: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
If that still doesn't make sense, ask a good pet shop for an explanation.
3. It is rare that you need to worry about pH. You do need a product to get rid of chlorine. You also need some way to clean dirt out of the gravel (if any).
4. Bloodworms are good. Chopped nightcrawlers are even better.
5. For juveniles every day is good., but it depends on their size. Every two days may be enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!