Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New to keeping axolotls, can i feed them triops ? lol

Paddon329

Reaction score
Hey guys :D

I should be getting some axolotl hatchings soon ( possibly this Friday ) but i need to get everything sorted for these little guys before i pick them up. i've done a lot of research on this forum which has been very helpful. seems the best option for younge axolotls is having a daphnia culture, but im having difficulty finding somewhere i can buy living daphnia from.

I've had pet triops before and this is my question lol, can you feed axolotls triops ? you can pick up triops from argos and just add water and raise them very quick and to be honest there's normally a fare few daphnia floating about, i suppose i could try separating them out before the triops eat them lol.

See the problem is i dont have a lot of space, im in the Air force at the moment in a 4 man room so space is limited so i cant set up massive daphnia culture

Any suggestions would be great !

I have a container for them, looking at picking up 2-3 axolotl hatchlings.. i know i need to get a solution to dechlorinate the water for them, is there anything else i need to get ready for them

Thanks for any replies ! just want to get everything right so i can raise them properly

Thanks

Jon

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
To raise them properly you will need to feed them baby brine shrimp that you hatch, then rinse, then feed, or keep a daphnia culture. They eat live moving food for the first 2-3 weeks then you can chop up blood worms then whole blood worms then as juvies feed salmon pellets or earth worms. As hatchlings they eat twice a day and require water changes daily.

Triops would not be a good food as they could bite and kill you young larvae.

Bear13

Reaction score
Hello,

I know what you are trying to achieve because I have bred triops for feeding my axie's before! It would be wise not to feed the babies triops because of the rate at which triops grow at, but, they are a very nutritional snack for the adults! You could try to freeze them and it may be easier to feed it to them.

Please add to my reputation if this helps at all.

Cheers
Bearolotl ;)

Polarize

Reaction score
Not sure if it would work for axolotls in their hatchling stage, but I have heard that once they are more mature, they can feed on young triops. Eating older triops might end up hurting the axolotls. Just hearsay, nothing confirmed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1