What just happened? (a very strange curiosity)

Kirzzin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone, it is me again.

The girl with the balloon axolotls. Unfortunately Gus and his sibling both passed away.
Their Mum had another batch of eggs a few months ago, all growing quickly and strong. But in the last week, uh oh, I've noticed we have 3 Leucistics that looked just like Gus, except they began to do this way earlier than Gus ever did. I thought oh no, should I cull them or let them live their lives out again?
I decided I couldn't bring myself to cull them so onward with their lives I went.

This afternoon I was cleaning out the babies tank, I have a hose with a net over the end so that no one gets sucked up, most of them are too big now to get sucked in, or can just swim away. However, one of the balloon axolotls got stuck to the net, he was vaccumed against it for a good 3 seconds before I pulled it out of the water and lost suction. He slowly deflated and sunk to the bottom. I thought I had killed him, popped him and he sunk to the bottom.

But then he swam up to the top of the tank, and back down, and back up and back down. So I scooped him up and refrigerated him. An hour ago I checked on him and he looked like a normal axie again. He was swimming around, ate a few blood worms. I was shocked.
So, I then did to the other two what I did to him. I suctioned them to the net on the hose, for 3 seconds, and they both did the same thing. Deflated, sunk, swam, and I put them in the refrigerator too. All three are alive, eating and swimming normally.

These creatures are a mystery!!

Hello everyone, it is me again.

The girl with the balloon axolotls. Unfortunately Gus and his sibling both passed away.
Their Mum had another batch of eggs a few months ago, all growing quickly and strong. But in the last week, uh oh, I've noticed we have 3 Leucistics that looked just like Gus, except they began to do this way earlier than Gus ever did. I thought oh no, should I cull them or let them live their lives out again?
I decided I couldn't bring myself to cull them so onward with their lives I went.

This afternoon I was cleaning out the babies tank, I have a hose with a net over the end so that no one gets sucked up, most of them are too big now to get sucked in, or can just swim away. However, one of the balloon axolotls got stuck to the net, he was vaccumed against it for a good 3 seconds before I pulled it out of the water and lost suction. He slowly deflated and sunk to the bottom. I thought I had killed him, popped him and he sunk to the bottom.

But then he swam up to the top of the tank, and back down, and back up and back down. So I scooped him up and refrigerated him. An hour ago I checked on him and he looked like a normal axie again. He was swimming around, ate a few blood worms. I was shocked.
So, I then did to the other two what I did to him. I suctioned them to the net on the hose, for 3 seconds, and they both did the same thing. Deflated, sunk, swam, and I put them in the refrigerator too. All three are alive, eating and swimming normally.

These creatures are a mystery!!
Eeeeeeee

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

回复: What just happened? (a very strange curiosity)

It's very intriguing! I have no idea what it could be, though I did follow your thread with little Gus and his sibling (RIP)!

How are the little ones looking today?

All three are doing great as far as I can tell! I expected them to start ballooning again, but they just look like tiny regular axolotls now. I have them separate from the rest but they are eating, pooping and swimming like normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back