Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Advice/Help pleeease :(

Cmw001

Reaction score
Hi everyone I've had to separate my two young ones as unfortunately even though they are fed well my white girl has still decided to attack my goldies arm...quite a nasty one this time. I've had him in the fridge and also been doing salt baths for the last 4 days but I'm worried that actually his hand is just rotting away on there and if I should or should not amputate his hand....his wound is actually right down to the bone but then his little hand is just dangling and dragging along...what should I do? :/

Attachments

• 20170507_135306.jpg
    20170507_135306.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 277
  • 20170507_135220.jpg
    20170507_135220.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 252

BrooklynD

Reaction score
I'm definitely not an expert so I'd wait for other people to chime in their opinions as well, but I think the best thing you can do right now is keep him in clean water and keep well fed and your axie will probably be on the road to recovery soon. They are very good at regenerating limbs.

Twigwise

Reaction score
It looks like you're doing everything right. I'd be careful with the salt, because you don't need too much, and I would think salt on the open wound could be quite painful. However, you're doing the right thing with the salt baths.

That being said, I'd also try to find a local vet that has experience with caudates, to amputate the hand properly. Do not do it yourself, as you could cause more harm or stress to the little guy, but that hand should probably be properly amputated, in order to help the healing process.

Cmw001

Reaction score
Thank you both very much his hand has shed all the flesh and it's just bones hanging off now so I'm hoping the flesh will regrow over the existing bone I'll monitor him as I have been doing and if no changes I'll take him into the vet I'm glad there is no bacterial or fungus infection that is definitely a good sign

Attachments

• 1494382819125-1686079236.jpg
    1494382819125-1686079236.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 243

Cloppy

Reaction score
Just like others have said, Make sure he is eating well and the water parameters are good, and he should be able to regenerate the limb.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!