Red leg? Please respond quickly.

BrooklynD

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an axolotl and when I went on vacation my cycle got all crazy so long story short it's starting over, and my water levels aren't the best so it led to my axolotl getting fungus on its gills. I am using prime, but I noticed some very fatal red dots on my axolotls legs, and there was like a red spot on its back with some tiny red dots on it and that seems to have pretty much gone away.. (there's a picture of it on my post before this) but I'm worried my axolotl has red leg? I had a post similar to this but people stopped replying. The dots are not easy to see and I can only really see them when I put my axolotl in a clear tub out of the tank.
The red dots are on all legs, and I don't notice any behavior change though I think my axolotl may have thrown up its food a couple times? Could be because (s)he ate too much though, (S)he is 6 inches roughly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 215
回复: Red leg? Please respond quickly.

Hi,

I don't really have much help for you but if you aren't getting responses there is an abundance of information about diseases both just on Google and by searching this forum (there is an option to search Caudata in the top green bar). Searching the forum in particular is a good way to find answers as your question has almost certainly been asked before.

If it IS red leg then from some cursory Googling it looks like its usually a secondary infection due to inadequate housing conditions, which was probably caused by your tank cycle restarting. I would put him in the fridge right away if you haven't already, as this reduces stress and will get him away from poor tank conditions. From my google search I can see that the cure seems to be antibiotics, which you would need to get from a vet. Call around and see if someone near you will see an amphibian. If you aren't willing to do this, I think you'll just have to fridge him, clean his water daily and hope for the best, but the prognosis isn't great. Good luck.

If you look at the slim green line towards the top of the page, you'll see the search button. Click on that and type 'red leg'. You'll get answers instantly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back