Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not sure if axolotl is constipated. Help

korimizu

Reaction score
Hey, I have about a five inch juvenile. I’ve had him since around October of last year. He’s a pretty lithe axolotl, and I was surprised when today his stomach looked far larger than usual. For the last week I’ve noticed his cloaca has become slightly swollen (not red, just larger). Not sure if this is just him being male (which I am not even sure of) because he’s still a juvenile. Usually his stomach is just a little farther out than his “chin”, if that makes any sense, but now it’s a lot farther out. He’s been on a diet of a single small red wriggler per day - I know some say that axolotls don’t like the taste but he’s always eager to eat them. His stomach is still the width of his head, but it’s just larger as far as how low it goes. I’m hoping that makes some sort of sense. I’ve also not seen his poop in a while, but I believe he has a tendency to trample his turds, not to mention some of the worms I feed him still have tiny bits of soil stuck to them and they make it hard to tell if he actually pooped and trampled it or if I’m just cleaning up all the dirt from the worms. I’ve never fridged an axolotl before so if that’s something I need to do I would appreciate advice on how I should go about it. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!