Question: Clay? Is it safe?

MitsukiChan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I have some basic PVC piping in my tank and I'm looking at the cheaper options to refurbish my tank that will help save my wallet a little bit and keep my axolotls safe and happy. I've been reading online about the different clays but have been finding lots of mixed results. Are there any safe kinds of clay I can use in my tank? Should I just save the money to buy more tank decor?

When you say clay, what do you mean?
If it is for hides, you can use small terracotta pots. They are pretty cheap and safe
Some materials can leech into the water so be careful of what you use

Like polymer clay or molding clay. A lot of the videos I've seen say you can even make your own polymer clay.

Thanks but I will be having live plants in my tank and would rather a natural look to it instead of man-made such and such. Which is why I threw out all the spongebob decorations my mother bought me for it. I'm not wanting a novelty tank. I want a natural looking tank. Hence why I want to try making clay hides as I can paint them and then seal the paint with fish friendly sealant for it that won't let the color leach into the water.

Okay great! Hopefully someone else can comment about the clay. If it is sealed I imagine it would be okay, but you can never be too careful :)

You can also have a look at rocks, and building hides out of rocks (by stacking or glue). I have slate at the moment and it can look really nice, especially in a planted tank.
If you are interested in rocks this link gives lots of good info. I didn't see anything about clay on it unfortunately
https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml

Thank you!! And yes hopefully someone does!! I may have to go that way. I was really not wanting to though :/ means I'll need to buy water safe glue and bags of rocks -.- at this current moment I'm very tempted to say screw it and just save for hides.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back