Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Could use some cycling advice

Mackpritchard

Reaction score
Hi, I am having a lot of trouble cycling my aquarium and need help! So over the last few weeks I have purchase a 65litre aquarium, and I have a tidal 55 filter in it. I added pure ammonia as to directions and have got a reading of between 4-8 ppm ammonia and then I added sea hem stability, and added this for 7 days everyday I tested it and it read the same so I did a water change to remove some of the ammonia and still NOTHING no nitrites no nitrates. I could really use some help I am 10 days into the process and am lost.

Update: day 13 - my results are still 4-6 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates, guys what do I need To do

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has an established tank? You could ask to borrow old filter media or decorations to introduce bacteria. I haven't used seachem but I have used the blue planet brand of bottled bacteria.
You could also try adding in some live plants, they may bring in some bacteria and can get the cycle moving.
What temperature is your tank? Bacteria will probably grow better in a warmer tank (you'll just need to drop the temp before adding axolotls)

NexSocius

Reaction score
When starting from scratch, it can takea good 2 - 3 weeks just for nitrites to show. I tried API’s quickstart, it wasn’t that wonderful.
You could buy a pack of frozen bloodworm cubes, and put one in there, I find they are a good source of ammonia when they break down.

Where in Aus are you located?

Mackpritchard

Reaction score
Do you know anyone who has an established tank? You could ask to borrow old filter media or decorations to introduce bacteria. I haven't used seachem but I have used the blue planet brand of bottled bacteria.
You could also try adding in some live plants, they may bring in some bacteria and can get the cycle moving.
What temperature is your tank? Bacteria will probably grow better in a warmer tank (you'll just need to drop the temp before adding axolotls)

My sister does have an established tank and I could ask around for other friends thanks, my tank is between 16-19 atm fluctuating daily

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you're able to raise the temp a bit it will help too :)

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Mack, I feel your pain! I've been trying to cycle a 10 gallon (40 litre) tank with no substrate. This is the first time I've tried doing a fishless cycle with household ammonia. I did have the benefit of placing old filter floss and gravel from my established tank into my new canister filter. After 2 and a half weeks I'm finally starting to see lower ammonia levels and higher nitrites.

I would suggest not to do water changes and leave the ammonia levels high, add extra water circulation with an air stone, raise the temperature with a heater to between 80-90°F(27-33°C) and wait. I too was thinking I did something wrong but it just takes a long time to develop the good bacterial. I have 2 juvenile little one currently in a 10 litre tank waiting for the 40 litre to cycle. And I'll have to do another cycle when they go into the 190 litre tank. I'll be sure to start the cycle once he 190 litre tank is in its permanent location.

Mackpritchard

Reaction score
HI EVERYONE
Just an update to let everyone know what’s happening do basically I was patient let it happen and also borrowed some filter media so my readings now are at
Ammonia: 4-8PPM
Nitire: 0.25PPM
Nitrate: 10-20PPM
I also added a dose of prime to my aquarium aswell
So I’m glad to see I have some nitrates but now I’m just trying to figure out the best wow to now remove the ammonia to get it to 0 and the nitrite to 0 and would appreciate recommendations to what I should do next
I also added a dose of prime to my aquarium aswell

Mackpritchard

Reaction score
Hi guys an update on my tank
So my ammonia had now dropped to 0ppm
And my nitrite has sky rocketed
And my nitrates are still high
I have added prime during the water change that I have done and I was wondering is it now possible to add in my axolotl now as it says that prime detoxifys ammonia notice and nitrate just wondering as I’m getting impatient, thanks for everyone’s help

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Don't add an axolotl until the nitrite has hit 0 and nitrates are low. Nitrites are toxic. If you add in an axolotl you will have to do a lot of water changes and it will slow your cycle. You're almost there, won't be too long now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!