Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kimchee is addicted to cartoons

mdtaylor

Reaction score
My little buddy has gone from a barely alive rescue to a happy chubblet and total couch potato. I've had him (or her) for exactly 7 months now. I referred to Kimchee as a he originally, and still do out of habit, but his or her plumpitude and lack of a characteristic bulge make me think maybe she's a she. Any thoughts based on the photos?

Chee likes Hikari pellets with occasional bloodworms and a tiny bit of beefheart every few weeks. I've never seen him refuse food, ever. I typically keep it to about 10 pellets a day, but sometimes I wonder if that's too much or too little. I know I've read that you can feed them until they stop eating, but I kinda worry that Kimchee has no self control. Given that he's about 9 inches (and by my guess, about 8 or 9 months old) what feels like a reasonable amount of food for my chubby pal?

Also, does anyone else's axolotl really enjoy watching TV? Kimchee used to chase whatever I put in the tank while cleaning it, and in desperation I propped my phone against the tank and put on a lets-play video, and it ended up being a surefire way to get him to calm down and leave me alone. Now I usually let him watch for half an hour a day using my old phone (on generally low screen brightness), though he gets grumpy when I take it away. Does anyone else's lotl like to watch videos? Kimchee likes cartoons like MLP best. He doesn't try to eat things on the screen and doesn't get overly excited; he just kinda trundles over to wherever the phone is and watches calmly. Notification bars annoy him though and he always tries to look underneath them.

A few videos for proof of the MLP fascination: https://www.instagram.com/p/BplKokGnA4X/

Also I have zero idea why that one image keeps getting flipped... it's right-side up on my computer/phone, looks fine in the preview, I've changed the photo a few times, etc... but it just really wants to be upside down.

Attachments

• 2018-11-20 21.48.54.jpg
    2018-11-20 21.48.54.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 2018-11-18 00.00.43-2.jpg
    2018-11-18 00.00.43-2.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 210
  • chee.jpg
    chee.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:

honeydew

Reaction score
I’m afraid I don’t know enough to help with the sexing, but this is the cutest post I’ve ever seen. Kimchee is sooo cute!!!! And according to your videos you live in Pittsburgh too? I wonder how many cute axolotls are around here!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh Kimchee is lovely!!! Judging by the chunkiness it has to be female. 10 pellets sounds fine, sometimes Bucky will eat 2 huge nightcrawlers in one meal :/
I haven't tried a screen in front of my 2 (tank is in my room) but will have to see what happens, haha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!