Very sick axolotl

Leosia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We moved into our new place about a month ago and ever since then my axolotl somehow no longer has toes, has an extremely curled tail and it seems like he can't keep his balance and ends up laying on his back. While all at the same time my water temperature doesn't go above 18°C and I checked the water parameters and everything checks. PH was at a nice 7.5
I do weekly water changes, I feed earth worms and blood worms. I have had my axolotl for nearly a year and he has been living in the fridge for the last week and has not pooped but will still eat. Please help me figure out what is wrong so I can help him recover.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1029947696.jpg
    Snapchat-1029947696.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Snapchat-240035236.jpg
    Snapchat-240035236.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 121
I think I see poop in his body that’s the really reddish brown stuff right? How long has he not pooped? And axolotl will likely die if it’s holding poo for a whole month. However if it’s only been about a week or two it’s possible the axolotl will eventually poop but my understanding is that the axolotl will poop faster in a normal temperature setting because when it is in the fridge, everything slows down from metabolism to digestion, etc.

Delink here is for and extreme measure in the situation where it might have been hitting the third week and the axie no longer wants to eat and still no poop :
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99458&highlight=Constipation

I am well aware that many pet owners or scared to administer medication without a doctor so I would suggest if you are uncomfortable with it definitely take your pet to see a doctor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back