Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Badly Hurt Axolotl

JustinTapia

Reaction score
I can home one night to find my axie laying on the ground below the tank, he look bad with black toes, red dot on his tail, very very red skin, and veins showing through his skin. I have no idea how long he way laying there. I read online that I should fridge him and so far he has gotten a bit better. His skin is peeling, the black toes are not getting better, he isn't eating, he is still very red, and the ends of a few of his gills turned white. I have had him in the fridge for only 2 days but any help or advice you have would be appreciated.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
That is such a scary situation, I haven't had it happen to an axolotl but have with a fish years ago and it was terrible. I'll attach a recent post where someone's axie jumped out so you can read through https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111585&page=3
You can keep fridging, just make sure to change 100% of the water every day with dechlorinated water. While fridged he probably wont want to eat so don't stress if he doesn't. If the skin is looking bad then try some tea baths.
Watch out for infections and/or fungus. Fungus treatments would be tea or salt baths (though salt baths may be a bit stressful at the moment for him). Look around for an exotics vet with axolotl experience in case it's needed.
Post some pictures if you can of before and after so we can see the damage.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!