Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White Gills

WaWalker

Reaction score
Hi All,

We just got an axolotl (our first) and she came with white on her gills. I've had a ton of fish in my life but never an axolotl. To me, she looks like she has ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite burn. I moved her into a separate tub and made sure the levels were right. Her tank and tub were a little warm so I put a fan on her and she seems to be doing way better. Some of the white stuff came off in a goo-like string last night. Her tank tested high for nitrite so I've cleaned everything off and changed out the water. I wanted to let it run and check the levels when I get home today.

She seems to be doing better but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be aware of or could do?

Attachments

• 56641651173__F542FC79-EFE6-44AD-8500-2282B81B5A8F.jpg
    56641651173__F542FC79-EFE6-44AD-8500-2282B81B5A8F.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 148

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I'd keep them in a separate tub and do daily 100% water changes until the main tank is cycled. Could be severe burns from the water quality or it could be fungus it's a little difficult to tell. If the gills start to look worse/ begin looking fuzzier than I would begin treating with salt baths which you can find instructions for in a sticky on this section. I'd look into adding some catappa leaves into the tubbed water to help with healing as well and be sure to keep the tub cool.

WaWalker

Reaction score
Thank you for the help! She seems to be doing way better and her regular tank has leveled out. I just wanted to make sure she has no white left before I put her back in. It's off her gills now, but she still has a little.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1