too big worms??

maya

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey everyone,

i have a fire salamander, and recently i've wanted to start feeding him earthworms. (he's been mainly eating crickets).. only problem is that i can't cut them up.. i've tried, and it was a deeply scarring experiance! the poor little worms keep wiggling.. so, i was wondering if it would be safe to feed them whole? they seem a little big, but they wouldn't find chopped up worms in the wild! i don't know..

any ideas?

An adult fire salamander will feed adult earthworms to about 8-10 centimeters without problems.

If yours is smaller, try feeding galleria

If you still like to give 'cutting up' a try, try cutting the tail end part first. It seems like the tail end seems to react more crazily when the worm is chopped. I didn't like chopping the worms in the million pieces the first few times, but I eventually got used to it.

try red wigglers, I think they are a bit smaller

Hi maya,
In fishing store you might find smaller worms if yours are too big.

i have to chop worms for my fire salamander as anything bigger than 4-5cm scare him when he grabs them.
but most can take quite large worms

Maya - you can try pan trout worms - much smaller than the giant earthworms sold in stores. Call your local baitshop or check your local walmart for live bait.

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back