Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms Worms Worms!

martasauce

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a newbie and I feel like I am getting lots of conflicting information regarding what to feed my axolotl. My 2 local pet shops have whole heartedly suggested Whitebait and beef heart. I have since read that Whitebait may have iodine present and can cause stress / morphing etc and that animal flesh has too high a fat content.

I am now thinking about setting up a little worm farm.

Can anybody recommend a type of worm that could live in Western Australia (42°C summers), isn't too high maintenance, is readily available, does not smell or secrete anything (vital to selling the wife on the idea) and most importantly is the perfect diet for my axie?

Cheers,

Wil

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I know the information is conflicting, but as you read and accumulate it, you´ll find very good reason why mammal meat is not at all a suitable food for your axolotls.
As for worms the trouble is, that the ideal "food" species are hard to culture, and the ideal "culture" species are not the most palatable. However, i think the compromise is met with Eisenia hortensis, which i personally culture. It does secrete a moderately foul substance that tastes horrible but nevertheless most animals accept them readily after a while (it does take some time on occasion but it´s usually not long). They are easily cultured indoors and a properly mantained culture produces no bad smell at all. In fact when working well, it produces a fresh earth smell that many of us find quite pleasing.

You can find more information about this species and culture methods around the forum and in specialized sites all over the internet. Good luck! They are definitely the best food you can give your animals.

Last edited:

RobM

Reaction score
I don't keep Axolotls but I tend to find pet shop information very unreliable, I wouldn't think things like beef were very good for them, its not exactly something they would eat in the wild.
People on here rave about the quality of information found on axolotl.org, perhaps have a read of: Axolotls - Feeding

martasauce

Reaction score
I wouldn't think things like beef were very good for them, its not exactly something they would eat in the wild.

I agree and to quote Axolotls - Feeding "I've come to believe that beef heart is not a good food for axolotls, despite the widespread documentation of its use. The last time I checked, axolotls do not prey on cows in the wild..."

martasauce

Reaction score
As for worms the trouble is, that the ideal "food" species are hard to culture, and the ideal "culture" species are not the most palatable. However, i think the compromise is met with Eisenia hortensis, which i personally culture.

Thank you for your advice Azhael. I will look into the European nightcrawler asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

bichogrilo

Reaction score
I agree and to quote Axolotls - Feeding "I've come to believe that beef heart is not a good food for axolotls, despite the widespread documentation of its use. The last time I checked, axolotls do not prey on cows in the wild..."

wow, imagine if they did, i can picture packs of them roaming farms everywhere. :proud:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!