Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Info on Axolotl pellets? Good vs. Bad, best place to purchase? (USA)

marienaswarens

Reaction score
Currently, I am feeding my two Axolots bite-size peices of earthworms, but I'm interested in trying to Axolotls pellet's I've seen online. Would just like to see some feedback from people that have experience feeding them to their Axolotls. Anything good or bad anyone has to say about them. And if you do use them, where do you purchase them for the best price? Thanks!!

jinian

Reaction score
Re: Information on Axolotl pellets? Good vs. Bad, and best place to purchase?

I think they're great. My axolotl has grown from about 3 inches to 9 inches long on almost exclusively salmon pellets, and he's always been very healthy. I got some pellets from the person who gave him to me (who feeds his axolotls solely on them), and bought some from Michael Shrom in the For Sale forums. They're easier than earthworms (though worms are pretty easy too) and my partner doesn't complain that I'm murdering innocent annelids. :)

My only reservation about the pellets I use is that someone said they thought the fish in them were obtained through sea-floor dredging, which is very bad for the ocean ecosystem. I need to look into that more.

Chirple

Reaction score

I just got some of the hikari massivore pellets which were well-recommended, switching from smaller ones. We'll see how it goes, but it looks like it will work well as she didn't need any coaxing to eat one. :)

I also have blackworms and feeder ghost shrimp in the tank, but she doesn't catch them very often (her catch rate as of now is about one a week).

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The newt/axie pellets I've used are the Rangen soft salmon pellets, which are sold by several sources. Any good food for carnivores should be appropriate.

Last edited:

hacelepues

Reaction score

I use Axolotl Pellets that are sold by Ed's Fly Meat online. It's a pretty good price and lasts forever! I ordered 2 pounds over the summer and still have over a pound of the stuff left :)

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I use Hikari.
Carnivore sinking pellets and massivore pellets

High protein, low fat percentages is what I've found works best for me.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
You can purchase them both in bulk online. Even on eBay.
For smaller quantities just find which local shop with the cheapest.
Usually $11-12 for the carnivore. That lasts a long time even with a lot of axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!