Alternatives to earthworms?

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really hate feeding my axies worms. I feel sorry for the worms, if I don't chop them up they dissapear into the sand, if I do chop them up they keep wiggling and bleed. It's gross and I hate it.

What alternatives are there that are not quite so hands on?

Try tong feeding the worms, you wont need to cut them or let them escape.

I would have to agree with tong feeding. Search ebay they have tons of long tongs for like $10. Earthworms are deff the best food for them.

Why not just feed them pellet food? Salmon pellets, trout chow, newt pellets, axolotl pellets, etc. are excellent axolotl food. You don't have to worry about getting a bad batch of pellets. When purchasing worms for food you are often purchasing animals raised for the bait trade. Bait worms can be manure raised and are not the best food for axolotls. When I use earthworms for salamander food I only use ones I raised myself. That way I know what they have been eating and that they are in great shape.

As said, tong feeding is the best alternative if you're really not up for hand feeding and they're not terribly expensive. Although earthwoms are a great stable you could also try frozen bloodworm which comes in cubes and is just popped in the water. I wouldn't bother with any other frozen items such as daphnia and brineshrimp as it rarely all gets eaten and fouls the water terribly! Failing that there's the pellet option. Hikari sinking carnivore pellets are my preference. :happy:

In Australia there's these pellets with a bright yellow lid and purple sticker that are specially made for axies. Mine love it :)

Just a heads up on those- the company's transitioning to a blue label to go with the bright yellow lid :D
Some other good foods are the frozen bloodworms, slugs (need to be small and very well washed so they're not slimy, and not in an environment with poisons), red cherry shrimp (get 10 or so, set them up in a tank, let them breed for a few weeks and release half your population into your axie tank- Then just top up with a few more every couple of days, guppies (QUARANTINE them before you start feeding, and same method- breed them up to a good size population, always have a large number in reserve and watch that they don't get up to mischief), blackworms (not sure if you can get them easily in Britain, but if you can, get a new paint pippette from your local art shop, suck 'em up and squirt right in front of your axie's nose :D). As occasional treats, crickets/roaches (Just make sure they aren't gathered from near a roach bait/roach poisoning) and very low fat meat (Beef heart and roo are good for what they are- BUT NOT OFTEN, they are yum and good for putting weight on an axie, but not for long-term sole diet.)

Just a heads up on those- the company's transitioning to a blue label to go with the bright yellow lid :D
Some other good foods are the frozen bloodworms, slugs (need to be small and very well washed so they're not slimy, and not in an environment with poisons), red cherry shrimp (get 10 or so, set them up in a tank, let them breed for a few weeks and release half your population into your axie tank- Then just top up with a few more every couple of days, guppies (QUARANTINE them before you start feeding, and same method- breed them up to a good size population, always have a large number in reserve and watch that they don't get up to mischief), blackworms (not sure if you can get them easily in Britain, but if you can, get a new paint pippette from your local art shop, suck 'em up and squirt right in front of your axie's nose :D). As occasional treats, crickets/roaches (Just make sure they aren't gathered from near a roach bait/roach poisoning) and very low fat meat (Beef heart and roo are good for what they are- BUT NOT OFTEN, they are yum and good for putting weight on an axie, but not for long-term sole diet.)
I think Caitie has covered just about everything! ;)

Thanks everyone, I'm using worms I'm digging up myself and chopsticks but it's still urgh. I'm having a tough time being the instigator of death for the worms, so I think I'd be the same for shrimp (I keep big white shrimp in my fish tank as pets).
Someone suggested whitebait? It's incredibly cheap but is there a problem with it 'cos it is a salt water fish?
I've got frozen bloodworm, if you could buy frozen earthworms I probably would because at least it wouldn't be me killing them then.
This is what happens when your parents are vegan :) You turn into a softie :)

Pellets would be your best option if you feel sorry for the worms, you should avoid sea fish, kangaroo and beef, try fresh trout instead , mine love it. Blackworm are pretty much unobtainable in the UK (I have some which will be for sale next year if I can get them breeding in sufficient numbers but dont hold your breath lol) and they are very expensive when you do find them.

For what is worth, according to some studies it seems reasonable to assume that annelids probably don´t feel pain in any way we recognize as such. Most of their behaviours like the violent wriggling appear to be reflexes much like an autotomized lizard tail.
I would not use any salt water animals as food. The content in salts and certain elements is very different and it could result in toxicity or even osmotic issues. Elements like iodine, in high concentrations, could produce abnormal glandular behaviour of the thyroid.
Best stick to terrestrial and fresh-water invertebrates, which is the ideal.

Pellets would be your best option if you feel sorry for the worms, you should avoid sea fish, kangaroo and beef, try fresh trout instead , mine love it. Blackworm are pretty much unobtainable in the UK (I have some which will be for sale next year if I can get them breeding in sufficient numbers but dont hold your breath lol) and they are very expensive when you do find them.
Trout! fantastic, I have a neighbour who is a fisherman! I'll look out for pellets.

There are online shops that sell and ship pellets formulated specifically for axolotls (but suitable for most caudates) in a variety of sizes. I would consider these a superior choice to trout pellets. I use them as part of the diet for my newts and they work very well.

For what is worth, according to some studies it seems reasonable to assume that annelids probably don´t feel pain in any way we recognize as such. Most of their behaviours like the violent wriggling appear to be reflexes much like an autotomized lizard tail.
I would not use any salt water animals as food. The content in salts and certain elements is very different and it could result in toxicity or even osmotic issues. Elements like iodine, in high concentrations, could produce abnormal glandular behaviour of the thyroid.
Best stick to terrestrial and fresh-water invertebrates, which is the ideal.

Sorry to jack your thread tumpty but this may be of interest to you, Azhael could you respond to my thread , it concerns amphibian pellets vs trout pellets. Thanks.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...avortium-spp-etc/86638-amphibian-pellets.html

Thank you everyone, I feel a bit less bad about it now I know they don't feel pain. I've got some tongs which make it a lot easier than the chopsticks. And my garden is getting turned over every couple of days!

Thank you everyone, I feel a bit less bad about it now I know they don't feel pain. I've got some tongs which make it a lot easier than the chopsticks. And my garden is getting turned over every couple of days!

Better stock up with them , the cold weather will soon send them down deep and you will be unable to dig in the frozen ground. Start trying to source worm suppliers.

Better stock up with them , the cold weather will soon send them down deep and you will be unable to dig in the frozen ground. Start trying to source worm suppliers.
I was wondering about that, can I freeze them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back