Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is it okay to keep a newt in a wine cooler (temporary)

Aesyir

Reaction score
Im getting a newt soon and the species im getting likes cooler water than my ambient temp. I am still cycling my tank so ill be keeping them in a decently sized plastic tub and do 100% water changes daily. I am going to build a water chiller with a peltier i had one that worked well in the past i just dont have it anymore. So for the time being I was going to keep them in a wine chiller set to the correct temp. My worry is if they will suffocate the way the wine chiller works it looks like it takes in air from the out sides cools it then brings it in but i just want to be safe, thank you for your time.

EDIT: Sorry I could be wrong but newts can absorb oxygen through their skin in the water right?

Nativenewt

Reaction score
They newt won't suffocate as long as there is oxygen in the water and access to air. You might not want to do 100 percent water changes because the water quality difference cold be detrimental to the newt as they are sensitive to the surrounding environment.

Aesyir

Reaction score
They newt won't suffocate as long as there is oxygen in the water and access to air. You might not want to do 100 percent water changes because the water quality difference cold be detrimental to the newt as they are sensitive to the surrounding environment.

Well, the tub they will be in is not that big only a gallon or two so I don't want nitrate or ammonia to spike in there so i think its my only choice. I see people do 100% changed when they fridge their axolotls so I thought it would be okay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!