The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 17th August 2009   #1
whyjune1st

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: whyjune1st has shown reliable knowledge
Default White worms on glass?

I just found today that there is a large population of white worm looking creatures probably between 1 and 4mm long. I have attached pictures to help you guys figure out what they are. They seem to only be on the glass and other surfaces in the tank not the axolotls themselves. They also are more populous in the end of the tank without the filter. If anyone knows what they are, if they are harmful or how to treat them please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0717.jpg
Views:	6922
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	7522   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0718.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	7523   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0725.jpg
Views:	14840
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	7524   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0727.jpg
Views:	1752
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	7525   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0730.jpg
Views:	8744
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7526  

whyjune1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009   #2
Rayson
(Darkmaverick)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11
Default Re: White worms on glass?

They look like planaria. They are generally harmless and can be left in the tank. Have a read through this link.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

If you really want to get rid of them. You can try the following method.

You can choose to bait planaria. Scraped beef is put into a gauze sac and hung among plants and close to the gravel. Light should be switched off. The gauze sac will attract Planaria that will gather on it in a few hours. The sac is removed from the aquarium (hold the net under the sac to prevent Planaria falling back into the aquarium) and put into boiling water. Repeat this for several evenings to ensure that young planaria that have hatched from eggs are eradicated.

Old 17th August 2009   #3
Kerry1968
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Kerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: White worms on glass?

Good photography by the way! I find it really hard to photgraph tiny things like this on the glass. I have some planaria in my tank (not quite so many as you!) but I leave them be, I figure they're harmless.

Kerry1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, white, worms