how oftenly can they crest?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering does anyone know how oftenly a danube newt can crest?

if left aquatic some crested newts will grow a crest in spring and then again at fall.

My T. dobrogicus are currently building up their 2nd crest of this year, after a rather short colder period outside. I am sceptic that I will actually get eggs though. I keep mine aquatic.

whats the difference with keeping them aquatic or terrestrial?

whats the difference with keeping them aquatic or terrestrial?

The difference is that when you keep them aquatic, the tank is filled with water. When you keep them terrestrial, it isn't.

Just kidding, there are numerous reports of people succesfully keeping and breeding T. dobrogicus aquatic all year round. Most people find it easier to keep them this way. Also, they tend to eat more when aquatic.

they do seem to eat more. I keep mine aquatic but I have been thinking of a different set up like more terrestrial with less aquatics. so is this option the same with other crested newts? keep them aquatic or terrestrial depends on the caretaker? I've heard not all crested newts are as aquatic as others. is this true?

they do seem to eat more. I keep mine aquatic but I have been thinking of a different set up like more terrestrial with less aquatics. so is this option the same with other crested newts? keep them aquatic or terrestrial depends on the caretaker? I've heard not all crested newts are as aquatic as others. is this true?

You could give them a colder period on land, but I wouldn't know why if they do fine in the water. I don't have experience with all crested newts, but I do know that T. marmoratus and pygmaeus are more terrestrial in general, mostly only visiting the water during the breeding period.

It does not totally depend on the caretaker. You also should observe the animals closely. If they tend to spend more time on land than in water, you could think about moving them to a terrestrial setup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back