Sub-adult T. marmoratus hibernation?

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Coen Deurloo
Hi all,

I have a sub-adult T. marmoratus @ 14 - 20 degrees celcius, in a terrestrial setup. I have noticed it is building up a rather small crest already. Is it worth the effort to give this animal a colder period and let it join in with the others (adults) in spring? Does the growth of a crest mean it is able to sexually reproduce?

Hi Coen, mine have had their crests and all the signs of sexual maturity since a few months and they were about 8-8,5 cm long. They never showed the littlest interest in breeding though. I think depending on the size/age of your newt, the development of the distinct male characteristics doesn´t mean it will breed. Of course he might.
I have mine in the same circumstances as yours and the two males look like perfectly adult little newts. We´ll see if they develop a crest next spring(anyway the females are probably still way too young).

Thank you Rodrigo, maybe I will place him in the tank with the others. It most certainly won't hurt him, he looks well fed so he should be able to withstand a cooler period in the basement, regardless if it will actually try to breed afterwards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back