sexing p hongkongensis

do you or a friend have a garage you could put them in for a couple of months.

What is the coldest they can survive? because I dont have a garage but I have a sheltered storage yard kind of thing, where they would be safe from rain, and most winds.
Originally I wanted to keep them in the same tank (which cannot be moved) as I thought the stress of moving them beteen winter and summer tanks would put them off breeding.

If you think handeling them and moving them between tanks is ok, then I can cool them in my yard over winter then move them indoors again in jan/feb to breed.

I imagine a plastic tank like most pet shops sell will be ok for the pair over wintering...

What is the coldest they can survive? ....
My information is, that in Hong Kong the temperature in winter usually did not drop under 12,5 °C in the brooks (Martens, H., 1999)
If you think handeling them and moving them between tanks is ok, then I can cool them in my yard over winter then move them indoors again in jan/feb to breed....
This is the natural situation.
Look here:
http://www.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por27/27-glance-newt.htm
"The Hong Kong newts undergo seasonal breeding migrations."

Paul

That was interesting thanks Paul.
I think I am going to put together a simple overwinter tank for them and keep it in my sheltered yard, I'll monitor and make sure they don't go below 12 C. I'll keep providing worms as long as they eat them.

so I am assuming that the migration to stream pools co-ensides with an increase in temperature, at first I thought ''thats a strange time to breed?'' then I realised its on the other end of the hemisphere..
I like the bit about trying to get there first, to breed first, thus having babies which are large enough to eat other babies..

...at first I thought ''thats a strange time to breed?'' ...

I think for south asiatic stream breeders it is the best time to breed.
Think on monsoom in summer. To strong flowing water in the brooks for young larvae, but good for migration of juveniles.

Paul

Can anybody post the photo on the forum which let me to identify the characteristics easily, thanks a lot

Hi Batman,
here are mine.
BTW your field photos of wild ones and habitats are very much appreciated.
cheers
j.

Attachments

• PC064803_1.jpg
    PC064803_1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 313
  • PC064807_1.jpg
    PC064807_1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 268
Hi J.
I would like to ask the left hand-side is female, and right hand-side is male, isn't it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back