Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My hongkongensis male is gearing up for this year's breeding...

Yahilles

Reaction score
I fed him with woodlice, guppies, white cloud mountain minnows, live bloodworms and waxmoth larvae.
It is impossible to him to be a female - here you have pic of his baby, previous owner bred them, he has got tail sheen and fanned the female and they were kept only in this pair.
paramesotriton_hongkongensis_7.jpg

"in the time when he was eating better"
paramesotriton_hongkongensis_1.jpg

Ah, and, what you have asked for, juraj:
flaku.jpg

cauy.jpg

Greewok

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but here is a Male and Female I have. One female is gravid, the other is working on it. Male is super aggressive, he will attack the glass if I put my finger up to it.

file.php

index.php

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Janusz, is it possible that the previous owner did not have them long? The female could be retaining sperm from previous matings (in the wild), and then laid eggs in captivity. Salamandra have been known to retain sperm for years.

juraj

Reaction score
Hi Janusz.
I dug out some old photos of my female. Compare with your animal.

Attachments

• PC064800_1.jpg
    PC064800_1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 303
  • PC064802_1.jpg
    PC064802_1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 280

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Take into consideration what Kaysie said, sperm retention is a fair possibility. Also tail fanning cannot be taken as a definitive character because females of territorial/agresive species like yours can and will fan their tales.
As for the sheen i can´t see it.
Unless you see true breeding behaviour(not just fanning, but spermatophore deposition too) i´m not sure you can say that´s a male.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Hi Janusz.
I dug out some old photos of my female. Compare with your animal.
To my female? :) (sorry, i'm just starting with taking full-animal pictures, not portraits)
amf1.jpg

amfitri9.jpg

(Yes, i keep them with three little Corydoras habrosus)
trakirys.jpg

Now i can't be sure, when you just covered me with arguments, but my friend (who kept them before me for over 2 years) says, that he saw spermatophores and tail sheen in past.

because females of territorial/agresive species like yours can and will fan their tales.
On livingunderworld.org (sorry, but here on CC you don't have any Paramesotriton articles) you can read, that only males of P. hongkongensis are agressive.

louise

Reaction score
My female hongkongensis are very aggressive, especially when there is food around. I would say that all three of them are more aggressive than the male.

lims

Reaction score
breeding !

This hongkongensis breeding article is going to be too late!!!

Is it more to do with photoperiods instead of temp? I bred my c. orientalis with just photoperiod changing and water levels.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
(Yes, i keep them with three little Corydoras habrosus)
I assume you know this and choose to accept the risk, but I must mention for newbies: cory catfish can be fatal to newts. There are 3 separate accounts of amphibians being impaled by cories on the Species Mixing page.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread... I am enjoying the discussion. Hongkongs do seem to vary quite a bit in aggressiveness.

Louise, when you say that you don't vary the photoperiod... how do you AVOID varying the photoperiod? Are the newts in a basement?

louise

Reaction score
They're in my kitchen. Their tank is covered on three sides and lit by an artificial striplight. The light comes on at 6.30am and goes off at 10pm. I have it on a timer.

lims

Reaction score
i think my newts are either too old or both same sex, they never get white stripes, only had them 2 seasons but they've been well fed and in that established tank un-disturbed for nearly 2 years

Yahilles

Reaction score
I assume you know this and choose to accept the risk, but I must mention for newbies: cory catfish can be fatal to newts. There are 3 separate accounts of amphibians being impaled by cories on the Species Mixing page.
Mine are just too slow and they can't catch the fish even if they swim directly next to newt's snout.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1