Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated and fading

loki0309

Reaction score
The vet called today, not really what I'd hope to hear though.

His research has pointed him in the direction of free fluid in the abdominal cavity - this is mostly caused by "leaking kidneys and/or liver" and is a fatal condition. He has said that I push for a scan that will show if there is fluid, but will not establish its origin. No other medical intervention has been offered.

But he has stressed that this is by no means the only cause of abdominal bloating and I should keep doing what I'm doing and see if it resolves its self in time.

fingers crossed!!!

loki0309

Reaction score
Was reading through the older posts today (at work goofing off) and ran across one from Tom (dated 2005) his axies condition sounds similar to Festers. He had some success with fridging, just wondering if anyone else thinks I should try this.

memojo1979

Reaction score
If you think there is any chance of swallowing some gravel (which is a possibility from the previous tank set-up), I'd recommend fridging. Worth a try ;)
Good luck to you both!

loki0309

Reaction score
Fester's gills are looking much better after her stay in the fridge, but her belly is still huge.
She's eating half an earthworm at a sitting. however after eating, she backs up into a corner with her tail curled around her body (sign of stress???) also her poop looks like a brown puddle, no real form to it, I gather this isn't normal .

I've tested the water all is fine there and the temp is a around 16.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1