Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Fungal Infection?

AxolotlLove327

Reaction score
My Axolotl seems to have a fungal infection, but I'm not sure. I've also noticed his bills are curled forward, and the frills are gone. What's that all about? The water parameters are fine, and the temp is a few above 60F. I've attached some pictures of his head, where the infection seems to be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 327

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Specifically, what are the "all fine" water parameters? Since I don't know your level of expertise, I can't tell if your definition of "all fine" matches that of the experts.

Based on the experiences of many, high nitrate levels sometimes trigger fungal infections. Does it look fuzzy, like a bit of cotton ball? It is hard for me to tell from the pictures.

It almost never hurts to change the water more often, and sometimes that helps with fungal infections.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Doesn't look like fungus or heat stress. Did the white patch just appear ? Gill loss can be down to water quality, you said your water was fine, what did you test for and what were the results ?

AxolotlLove327

Reaction score
I have noticed that the nitrites are high, I'll do a water change. And no, the spot doesn't seem fuzzy at all. I'm actually out of town right now, but I'll be back tomorrow and I'll test the water and relay it to you. I have drop tests for ammonia, but everything else is strips.

AxolotlLove327

Reaction score
And to answer nai lives question, the spot has seemed to always be there, but has become more noticeable the past few days. I'll be back tomorrow and test the water

xxianxx

Reaction score
Some axolotls can have different coloured patches on them, its more noticable on darker ones like melanoids and wild types. Melanoids darken up as they get bigger, their skin thickens, you can see this on light morph juvies, you can see internal organs on them but not adults. The white patch on your guy may just becoming more visible as it darkens with age.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1