Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra gigliolii

andrew

Reaction score
Hi all, i've been offered some salamandra gigliolii and was hoping for any information on keeping this species before i decide to get them or not. Over the years i've kept a few sub species of fire salamander so i do have some knowledge on the subject but i'd appreciate any help from people who have experience in housing these beautiful salamanders.Thanks alot!

mike

Reaction score
Hi Andrew,
S.s.gigliolii do have a reputation for being delicate and difficult to keep long term in captivity.
This, I think is partly due to who is offering these salamanders for sale! If they are of adult size, are they WC or LTC animals? (aren't long term captive wild caught anyway?).
I for one do not sell many adult stock, as I have invested probably four or five years in growing them on to breeding size. My advice would be to obtain CB juveniles from a bona-fide breeder that is willing to show you the parents!
Having got that 'off my chest' in my experience they are no more difficult to keep and breed than most other fire salamanders. I do keep all my Salamandra in 'semi-clinical' conditions, (not everyone's 'cup of tea'), as I have a very large collection.
They are housed in well ventilated, transparent plastic boxes, with non-bleached paper kitchen towel as substrate, and cork bark or plastic guttering for hides. I do not provide a water dish as the inhabitants obtain all the moisture they require from the damp substrate, which is sprayed regularly with 'old water'. The paper towel when fouled can be quickly and easily replaced, (preventing possible bacterial infection), and food intake can be observed/regulated. They are fed mainly on earthworms and crickets of appropriate size.
Although S.s.gigliolii are found in various regions of their native Italy, the more southern subspecies from Calabria, typically Serra San Bruno, is the most sort after, due to it's mostly yellow/orange colouration. Unlike most Salamandra, which are often more attractive as juveniles, and mainly retain their markings at three to four years of age, these animals continue to turn more yellow as the years progress.

andrew

Reaction score
Thanks very much Mike, don't worry, i wouldn't perpetuate the W/C trade.The animals have been bred in captivity from LTC stock and the breeder has indeed invited me to his house to examine both the young and the parents. Thanks alot for your help on this Mike.

mike

Reaction score
Andrew,

I have forgotten to mention that it is most important to supplement their diet with calcium, as gigliolii are very prone to skeletal abnormalities.

I use Limestone Flour, which can be obtained very cheaply from horse-feed establishments, in 3 Kg tubs.

The 'flour' is perfect for dusting the crickets before feeding to the salamanders, at two to three week intervals.

andrew

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, i've heard of this limestone flour and it shouldn't be a problem to get a hold of. Just out of interest, why is this species so prone to skeletal abnormalities?
Andy

mike

Reaction score
It is found on habitat strewn with limestone rocks, the mineral leaches into the water supply, and possibly its' food.

S.s.longirostris, from the southern tip of Spain, and S.algira, across the Straits of Gibraltar in Morocco are both found in karst limestone formations, and also need a high calcium diet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!