Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus Information?

M

mark

I have begun to try to research this genus out of curiosity, and hopes that in a few years I may get some. However, I have found relatively nothing. There are a few sites, most are in German that offer information, but most are just bunk. So, I'm asking where to find out about these stunning newts? Also, any information at all that you can post would be great. Thanks!

N

nimbus2

There is virtually nothing published in English about the genus Neurergus. As far as I've been able to find out, 3 species are stream species, one is a pond species. They are found in Turkey, Iraq, and Iran. I think there will be a few Neurergus obtained and bred in the US within a few years.

P

philmerrin

Which of the Neurergus species is the still water one Nimbus?
Anybody know whether there are captive bred Neurergus available in the UK?

N

nimbus2

Well, I remember reading that one species had reverted back to a pond-breeding strategy from a stream-breeding strategy and I think it's kaiseri, but not 100% sure. It's either N. kaiseri or N. microspilotus. Neurergus are being bred in the UK. Marc Staniszewski sometimes offers them on his surplus list.

M

mark

why do people say that N. crocatus is the hardest to care for? Henk wallays told me that he found them the easiest.

M

mark

Can someone post some photos of this species or give links to some. I have no idea what these look like, although this species name always seems to pop up in literature I read.

B

brian

For N. strauchii try:
http://www.rieo.net/amph/saramand/imori/neure/strauchii.htm

For crocatus, check issue 28 of the axolotl newletter from IU

I don't know of any photos of kaiseri which are currently on the web. There's also an article in Reptilia on them by Mark S. with photos of all forms including the beautiful "gold dust" form of strauchii...I'd offer color copies, but it'd be cheaper to buy the back issue...

J

john

You're right in thinking there's not a lot going around about Neurergus in English, but the situation's no better in other languages (which makes a change). Marc Staniszewski describes Neurergus crocatus in his book "Amphibians in Captivity". I have a feeling it's not very accurate about breeding, but I can't be sure since I don't have experience myself. For what it's worth, I think care is quite similar for the three stream species.

Brian mentions Marc Staniszewski's article in Reptilia. I think it was August 1999. I haven't seen it so I can't comment. I would bet it's a lot more accurate than the species account in MS's book, because there were 4 years in between his book and that article.

-John

babamba

Reaction score
I have some pics of these newts. email me if you want the pics

M

mark

The pics of the Neurergus kaiseri are spectacular, definitely the coolest newt I have ever seen.. The only bad thing about those pics is that now they make me want Neurergus that much more
happy.gif

M

michelle

Hi everyone. I am a writer and biologist working on a book on endangered species. I was recently lucky enough to photograph Neurergus crocatus and may be including them in the book. The problem is I need enough information on them to put together a 1000-word profile. I have searched the internet, and as others have said, there isn't a lot out there. I really need some wild population estimates and basic biological information. Does anyone know of anyone working with this species, either in the wild or captivity? I have contacts with the Gladys Porter Zoo in Texas (who have just got some), but they don't have much information either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at gildersm@telusplanet.net

Cheers,
Michelle

K

kai

Hi Michelle,

Well, I hope your German language skills are reasonable...
happy.gif

Check out:

Steinfartz, S. 1995. Zur Fortpflanzungsbiologie von Neurergus crocatus und Neurergus strauchii barani. - Salamandra, 31: 15-33

Steinfartz, S. 1997. Die Gattung Neurergus. Faszinierende Bergbachsalamander aus dem Nahen Osten. - Reptilia (Muenster, Germany), 2: 43-48 [nice review]

Max Sparreboom, M., S. Steinfartz & G. Schultschik. 2000. Courtship behaviour of Neurergus (Caudata: Salamandridae). - Amphibia-Reptilia, 21: 1-12

The person you want to talk to is definitely Henk Wallays - he breeds them and can give you a lead if you have any special questions.
BTW, Henk, I'll sponsor a tight lid for your crocatus tank if this is of any help... ;)

Also contact Guenter Schultschik who manages a studbook for N. crocatus and has all published literature on this species available.

BTW, are the GPZ's specimens adult?

Best wishes,
kai

I

iain

Recently I discovered Neurergus kaiseri on the interent. I found very little information except that they are from Iran and live in mountainous areas, they are mainly aquatic, and prefer a temperature of about 14-15 degrees celcius. Above this temperature they lose their appetite.
It requires an aquarium with about 12-20cm of water, and a little land area.
I hope this information is helpful for you. I am in England, and am interested in obtaining some Neurergus species, of kaiseri and strauchii. Can anyone help or put me in touch with Marc S.?THanks, Iain

J

john

Your information on Neurergus kaiseri is erroneous. This species requires higher temperatures during the active part of the year - ideal temperatures being somewhere between 20 and 26 degrees Celsius / 68 - 79 degrees F. They are also semi-aquatic, not totally aquatic, although they will be ok with just a winter terrestrial period.

As for acquiring them in the UK, they're nearly as hard to come by as the winning lottery numbers here. I am aware of 3 individuals keeping them in England but none of them have excess stock available. They are available sporadically (but generally once a year) as captive bred animals in Germany, and that's your best bet.

Good luck,

John

K

kai

Hi Iain,

none of the Neurergus species seems to be "mainly aquatic" in nature. Some people did had success with keeping them in an aquatic set-up. I prefer to stick with more natural conditions though - YMMV.

Actually, kaiseri is pretty sensitive to low temperatures and will readily die if there's a strong drop. They are most comfortable with 20-22 deg C. I'm still working on a care sheet for this species.

The other species favor lower temperatures though...

Try to email Marc via the link on his website (easy to find with http://www.google.com).

Best wishes,
kai

F

frank

Sorry to be a bit a pain in the <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> but N. kaiseri tolerates temperatures down to 10°C very well. In fact, my animals have been breeding this autumn and winter, laying eggs at temperatures between 10 and 18°C. I know that the general idea is that these newts have to be kept warmer. However, if you look into the literature, Steinfartz found the animals in May in brooks at temperatures of 18°C (meaning that cooler temperatures in winter are likely). THis situation is in contrast with the situation e.g. of N; strauchii, which originates from areas that experience very cold and harsh winters. This species breeds in spring and hibernates, whereas N. kaiseri appears to breeds during winter (like many other urodelan species from Mediterranean climates)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1