Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton caudopunctatus eggs & larvae

P

paris

current is created by a box filter in the corner turned on high. i have only gotten the brown ones to breed, not the green ones yet. the tanks have one main tall tank decoration that comes out of the water for them to rest on if needed-with java moss. other than that they have no direct 'territory' they all come out to feed at the same time and aggression is limited to a few nips.

TJ

Reaction score
Woops, turns out the eggs weren't laid at 17 C as I'd said but were in fact detected along with some larvae when that was the temperature. But he suspects that they were laid when the water temperature was as low as 10 C.

Here's the promised photos of some brown ones I saw at a pet shop recently:

66564.jpg

66565.jpg

Something I've never seen before with this species (though I've seen it with P. chinensis) is those yellow flecks above the arms in that one individual. The orange, as you can probably tell, is just substrate.

TJ

Reaction score
As of today:

66794.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on June 22, 2006)

TJ

Reaction score
Running into serious problems, having lost 3 of my 8 in the last 2 days...

67001.jpg

67002.jpg

Not sure of the cause but I've moved them to a new container anyway. They may not be eating well, given that they seem so skinny.

J

jennifer

If it's any consolation, Tim, I've had bad luck with a batch of caudopunctatus eggs I was given too. Long story, but about 20 eggs are now reduced to 2 larvae
sick.gif
They may be a species that does better in more of a planted tank environment, rather than simple setups.

P

paris

i still have about 20 tim-USE daphnia!-its what they love best. they are not really a chunky larvae but they will eat to look 'not-skinny'

J

jennifer

Here are my two P. caudo larvae. The first photo shows both of them, if you look closely. They are about 4-4.5 cm long, which I worry may be on the small size for their age. They got a slow start.

67320.jpg

67321.jpg

P

paris

new post please! it take me 3.5 mins to upload this through my crappy land line...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1