Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! THERE IS SOMETHING REALLY WRONG WITH MY AXIE>>>I SEE BONE!!!

L

lauren

is there anything else i can do? like something for fish infections that i could give him? or are those toxic to axies?

C

christopher

from what I hear about the condition of your axie I think that it would be better for you to take himt to the vet..............its worth the cost!!!

kapo

Reaction score
As long as the wound isn't infected, and he is starting to eat then u shudn't need to add anything else. Remember some medicines for fish can be toxic to axies as chemicals are absorbed very easily thru the axies skin. Otherwise, as I said b4, just stick with the saltbaths - 1 teaspoon salt to 2litres of water, and leave him in in for 10mins.

L

lauren

more good news, his arm seems to be healing, VERY VERY slowly but still healing.

kapo

Reaction score
Great to hear -- Lauren.

(Message edited by kapo on May 21, 2006)

J

joão

well from what I can see from the photos it seems that your axie got bitten and just healed badly, I will be more concerned with your axies gills , they look dried and small.

L

lauren

thats what i thought....whats wrong how did they get that way? how can i fix this????

kapo

Reaction score
It cud have been water quality, ie: high ammonia levels in tank water. His gills will take longer to grow but they will grow. Just keep an eye out for fungus or infection.

L

lauren

must have been the lady i got them from cause he was that way when i got him

kapo

Reaction score
We have 2 axies whose gills had no frilly bits at all and were quite sick when we got them. But we've had them for 4mths now and the frilly bits are just starting to appear(they are both 3yr olds) and are looking much healthier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1