Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marimo Moss Ball Size/Introduction?

RabbitOfAurora

Reaction score
Hey all! I'd really love to get my adult Axie some Marimo moss balls. I'm not very comfortable introducing live plants, so these will be the only living ones in my tank.

My main questions are: Does size matter? I don't want my Axie and any future Axies to eat and choke on them so what's an appropriate size moss ball for adults?

If they manage to pull them apart and eat them will it make them impacted and sick? Or because it's a natural material it should just pass naturally?

And lastly, how do I prep the moss balls to make sure I'm not introducing anything nasty into my tank?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with axolotls taking chunks out of moss balls but have read about it happening. You want to make sure the ball is larger than their head. If they eat it it could cause impaction but it shouldn't be too difficult to pass if kept in cooler water, unless they have eaten a big amount.
You want to quarantine them like you would with any live plant or animal. A few weeks to a month is usually the standard time. If you don't have a quarantine tank you can rig up a small one using a small cheap tank or container (even a little plastic one you might get from dollar stores would be sufficient for a moss ball). You want to keep the water clean but if you don't have a little filter for it you can rig up a basic sponge filter using an air stone (wrap it with sponge). Just check the water parameters regularly and change the water accordingly.

RabbitOfAurora

Reaction score
Thanks! Is all that really necessary for a moss ball though? They're usually kept on their own in a small jar in just tap water. Can I not just chuck them in a bucket for quarantine?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Yeah you can, I would still test the water every fortnight or so in case it's getting exposed to ammonia/nitrite. Moss balls are really hardy and shouldn't really produce a lot of anything so it isn't a big deal. Make sure the water is dechlorinated as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!