Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PREGNANT REDBACK SALAMANDER??!!!!

J

jay

I tried this on the Newt and Salamander help section, but since this is the specialized section, i thought there would be better info here.

I have a redback salamander, who is female, and is about twice as fat as the other ones, some what lethargic, and spends most of it's time hiding or looking for hiding spots. i put it in a seperate tank with plenty of hiding spots because i thought it was pregnant. here are some photos, any info you can give me would be most appreciated. The "pregnant" one is on the left.
35227.jpg
. this is the "pregnant" one's underside.
35228.jpg

N

nate

If you're pretty sure the male has successfully courted her, then it's a good idea to remove her like you have to a separate container. If not, keep them together. Try not to disturb her too much, or when (if) she does lay the eggs, she may very well eat them out of stress.

(Message edited by nate on April 30, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!