Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My Axie Has Jumped Out Of His Tank!!! Help Please

HELP

Reaction score
Hello,
A few hours ago my axe had jumped out of his tank onto the carpet from not that high up, he was found within half an hour of the incident and was placed back into the tank, he swam next to his scuba ornament and sat still on his hind legs he has been sitting like that for about an hour until he moved to a different spot and has been sitting on his back legs again, I wasn’t at home during the incident but my sister said he had a little layer of skin peel off, I’m not sure if he looks okay or if his behaviours are normal.

I’m worried for him and would like any suggestions to help resolve the situation.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 816
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 347

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is a case of wait and see. Your axolotl has had a huge shock and may take a bit to settle again. I'd make sure the water is nice and cool and I'd keep any lights off and maybe even cover the tank with something to make it dark. Do make sure the top of the tank is covered to prevent any future accidents. If anything changes' please let us know.

HELP

Reaction score
It has been roughly 13hrs since then and he has stopped standing on his back legs and has been lying on his belly but not really moving, his gills on the other hand have been moving every now and then. Today i'm supposed to feed him brine shrimp, i tested dangling a little bit of food in his face with the tweezers he acknowledges the food is there and moves his head in the direction the food is it but wont eat it.

Let me now if any of these symptoms are normal and what to do if he continues.
Thanks

HELP

Reaction score
It has been roughly 13hrs since then and he has stopped standing on his back legs and has been lying on his belly but not really moving, his gills on the other hand have been moving every now and then. Today i'm supposed to feed him brine shrimp, i tested dangling a little bit of food in his face with the tweezers he acknowledges the food is there and moves his head in the direction the food is it but wont eat it.

Let me now if any of these symptoms are normal and what to do if he continues.
Thanks

quick update i have added aquarium aloe vera salt into the aquarium and he is still not moving around that much or at all really

Kitan

Reaction score
Take this with the BIGGEST grain of salt since I am a 'lotl owner of only a week, but since there havent been many replies at this point, let this at least be something!

Given that he leapt out of a tank, he may have injured his front arms and scraped himself up some. Obviously that is hella stressful for the little guy, but they are known for being able to recover from a lot. He may not be down for food for a few days as he is recovering and stressed. I would also be super hesitant with that salt; I've read aloe and 'lotls dont mix and salt can be stressful. Just keep an eye out for infection\fungus\skin or gill irritation and make sure his tank stays cool and clean :)

I am sure he will be more than fine :) Let us know how it goes!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 5-10g is actually soothing and extremely beneficial to all freshwater species. One of our well known aquatic vet for the province has discussed it quite a bit in our Aquarium Society meetings.
A concentrated salt bath is stressful and can harm.

I know I’m super late, but salt hurts a lot for them, and is harmful, which is why it’s only used in extreme cases. Just a tip for next time☺

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 5-10g is actually soothing and extremely beneficial to all freshwater species. One of our well known aquatic vet for the province has discussed it quite a bit in our Aquarium Society meetings.
A concentrated salt bath is stressful and can harm.
Huh, okay! I’ve never had to do salt baths, but I was talking abott it concentrated. I’ve never thought to put salt in my tank, but maybe I will now!

LiaKalima

Reaction score
Try putting him in a tub with cool dechlorinated water and Indian Almond Leaf so you can monitor his behaviors. Poor guy probably got bruised up internally but the good news is they are tough buggers Ive seen lotls survive this sort of thing. Maybe invest in some egg crate so he cant escape anymore

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!