The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

View Poll Results: How many amphibians have you had at once? ( including eggs and larvae )

1-5 20 21.51%
5-10 12 12.90%
10-50 26 27.96%
50-100 5 5.38%
100-500 19 20.43%
500-1,000 8 8.60%
1,000-5,000 3 3.23%
5,000-10,000+ 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th April 2014   #1
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default How many amphibians have you had at once in your private collection?

Hi all,

So I was just curious how many amphibians people actually have? This DOES include eggs and juveniles! So give your best estimation.
Post below if you want, with the exact number or whatever is closest. Lets see who has the most! Maybe Ian. But I really have no clue xD So, how many?

P.S. This includes ALL amphibians, frogs and toads too, not just sals and newts.

Old 13th April 2014   #2
deliriah

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: deliriah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many amphibians have you had at once in your private collection?

Counting eggs and babies, I'm currently in the 500 - 1000 range. I have a trio of ribbed newts that have not stopped laying eggs since I got them as a Valentine's Day gift. (Finally moved "Daddy" to a separate tank- those ladies deserve a break! >600 eggs total) I also have a batch of around 100 baby axies. Other than that I have the 3 adults as well as 5 juvenile ribbed newts. 2 fire belly newts, 4 eastern newts, 1 adult axolotl, and 1 spotted salamander. Around 716.

Not really sure it's such a good idea to count your newts before they're hatched though!

deliriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014   #3
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: How many amphibians have you had at once in your private collection?

I voted in the 100-500 section. I currently have approximately 211-300. I have 2.3.3 T. granulosa, 1.2.100-150 A. gracile and 0.0.70-100 R. aurora.

Old 14th April 2014   #4
Alex
(seagull)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: seagull is an unknown quantity at this point

with burrito and moapers babies, around 400

seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014   #5
Evan
(frogman)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and information

I would probably be in the 100-500 category.

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014   #6
otolith

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I have 5 T. marmoratus, 2.3 T. dobrogicus and 67 morphs/advanced larvae, 1.1 T. karelinii and ~30 larvae, 4 S.s. gallaica, 2.2 M. a. apuanus and ~60 morphs/larvae, 2.2 Lissotriton v. ampelensis and ~80 morphs/larvae

and then a whole lot more eggs (which I don't count until they hatch )

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014   #7
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Wow, I'm surprised nobody has voted in the 5,000-10,000+ section yet. I thought there would be some people who had a ton of eggs and larvae from this years breeding season.

Old 21st April 2014   #8
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The survey is flawed. The categories overlap.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014   #9
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Yah, I just did it that way because saying 5,001-10,000 would look kind of stupid
But most people don't have the exact number, like exactly 500 or something, so I don't think there will be many, if any people who have trouble deciding which to vote on.

Old 22nd April 2014   #10
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I was just yanking your chain.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014   #11
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Haha, OK. I probably need more of that, i obviously take everything too seriously.....and am extremely gullible on the internet

Old 6th May 2014   #12
Evan
(frogman)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default How many amphibians have you had at once in your private collection?

Here is a better picture of the little girl. She has already taken to the water though.Click the image to open in full size.
Seth, I would put some dirt and moss into that tank for the Fire Salamanders. They like to hide. Here is my setup.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014   #13
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Yah I know Evan, it was a temporary setup.

They are now in a setup that is like leaf litter on the forest floor or Germany. I don't remember where they guy said there parents parents were from so I just picked a place that fires sals live in.

It has Alder, Hazel, Oak, and Japanese maple. The Japanese maple looks similar to Acer, so that's why its in there. All those species live in Germany. I might add some fern that live in Germany too, not sure yet. They have woodlice and worms in them for food. Then when they get bigger I will move them to a different setup. Maybe a outdoor enclosure, not sure what I am going to do yet.

They look good Evan! Congrats :)

Last edited by sde; 6th May 2014 at 18:49. Reason: added text....
sde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014   #14
Margie

Nationality:
Rep: Margie has shown reliable knowledge

Since you're counting eggs, I've gone over the 5,000 mark at least once. Typically I'm more in the 2000-3000 range.

Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014   #15
mewsie
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: mewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie View Post
Since you're counting eggs, I've gone over the 5,000 mark at least once. Typically I'm more in the 2000-3000 range.
Would still make a rubbish omelette.

Tags
amphibian, collection, how many, larvae, private