Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where do the tree frogs go?

eriku

Reaction score
I live in a very dry region of northern California and there is a seasonal pond up on a mountain where I live. two weeks ago it was full of tadpoles and water. Yesterday I went up and it was dry and there thousands of tiny tree frogs. My question is, without any water for another 9 months, where do these frogs live and survive. Obviously, some make it, because when I was there last month there were a few adults who I can only assume were responsible for the tadpoles. Do they live in the ground? do they migrate? Hibernate? what do they do?? I know newts have insane internal compasses and can find the way back to home from miles away, but what about tree frogs?

dane_zu

Reaction score
Whats there names again?......oh yeah, TREE frogs :)

They hang out in surrounding vegetation and in the trees, tree frogs aren't aquatic, they just need ponds to reproduce.

(meant nothing by the sarcasm, just friendly joking)

eriku

Reaction score
Whats there names again?......oh yeah, TREE frogs :)

They hang out in surrounding vegetation and in the trees, tree frogs aren't aquatic, they just need ponds to reproduce.

(meant nothing by the sarcasm, just friendly joking)

I just feel like they need some moister, i mean it's dry as a bone up there. I guess if it gets foggy once in a while that's enough. It just gets so hot up there and the only trees are old oak trees. It gets like 110 in the summer. Enough to turn a large pond into a cracking chunk of dirt in 2 weeks.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Frogs will dig down in loose soil and hide inside tree hollows and under bark.

David Tobler

Reaction score
I could only assume these are Pseudacris regilla, aka Pacific Chorus Frogs? Already mentioned, these frogs will actually burrow underground and hide inside/under fallen oaks and pines. Like most herps, their diurnal activity will transition to nocturnal activity when temps rise and moisture levels drop. The young froglets continue to feed during the summer in the cool of the night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!