The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Lynzi

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lynzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for help

Just today while feeding my axolotle I noticed tiny tiny tadpole like things swimming around his filter. Tones of them!!!! They have a round dot of a head and a little tail and swim so fast I cannot even suck them up with the turkey baster I use to spot clean the tank. I have no live plants, have only been feeding frozen blood worms and I have one ghost shrimp in there, which has been in the tank for months, Im actually shocked hes still alive. Where could there tadpoles have come from? What could they possibly be and if I cannot get them out will they do any harm?

Thank you in advance for your help with this puzzle!

Lynzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Looking for help

Hm my first thought would be detritus worms, but in my tanks they have pretty much stayed on/in the substrate. If you're able to can you get a photo or video of them?
Where is the tank kept? Could it be mosquito larvae? I get them in our pond outside all the time.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Unless they happen to be axolotl larvae, you won't get them identified without a picture.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
tundrabadger

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: tundrabadger is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an inquiring mind, field guides within reach and very little to do this evening. If you can get pictures I will see if I can find anything out.

tundrabadger is offline   Reply With Quote