The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Kristenna

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kristenna is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Some advice on my set up and health of my Axolotls?

Hi there, I am new to Axolotl keeping and would love to get some advice on keeping these magnificent creatures. I currently house my two Axolotl's in a 40 gal Breeder tank. I had it cycled for a couple weeks with a fluval hang on filter that I use for my Jack Dempsey. Before my Axolotl's arrived I put a 60 gal sponge filter in for low flow of water I currently don't run any lights except for the picture obviously. I have a set of 4 fans that run above the aquarium to keep the temperature at 64-67 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using fine sand as a substrate from Carib sea I rinsed the sand many times before putting it in. I have two other aquarium's so I am familiar with the parameters needed for Axolotl's and all seems great there. When my Axolotl's arrived they were a tad smaller than I anticipated being around 3-4 inches was worried about limbs being bitin off and what not. They are eating every day bloodworms and I have tried with no success cut up night crawlers. I would love to hear some advice or suggestions from other experienced keepers.

I have recently ordered some carnivorous pellets
A tank divider
And a sponge to possibly use on a hang on filter if needed in the future

I am currently using a feeding dish inside the aquarium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5818.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	54283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5848.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	54284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5864.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	54285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5829.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	54286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5868.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	54287  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5808.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	54288  

Kristenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
tundrabadger

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tundrabadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some advice on my set up and health of my Axolotls?

sounds like a good set up....i do note that their gills look like they're curling forward in the pictures there, which is a sign of stress....is that something that's happening a lot? If so, is there a current in the tank or anything along those line? direct light?

re food...it could be, and I don't know how big your nightcrawlers are so this is just me throwing things at the wall and seeing if they stick, but they could be a bit big for them even cut up. If they're eating bloodworms right now and they're bellies are the width of their head they should be fine, keep trying with the nightcrawlers every now and again and eventually they will probably go for them.

You're sure of the parameters and that the tank is fully cycled?

tundrabadger is offline   Reply With Quote