The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DavDe

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DavDe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lighting question involving T-8's for plant growth

I have a 20 gallon long that I have initially set up as a terrarium just a few days ago. I have an aqueon t-8 flourescent bulb I'm using for the moss and ferns I have planted in about four inches of substrate. I'm looking for a low heat signiture that will keep low light plants. My basement temps are pretty good for my future plan of adding Fire Salamanders or anything that will do well the the mid-upper 60 degree range. But that's up the road. For now I'm just wondering if the t-8 can keep plants. Thoughts?

DavDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Seandelevan
(seandelevan)

Nationality:
Rep: seandelevan has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Lighting question involving T-8's for plant growth

Why not LED? More efficient. Keeps temps low. Donít have to mess with bulbs. A lot of the big box stores sell them now. Nothing fancy.

seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
merman

Nationality:
Rep: merman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lighting question involving T-8's for plant growth

For plants, full spectrum will work. It may be a bit bright, so sallies and whatnot will llkely be hidden during the day. Personally, I like minimal plant lighting, for many reasons. It slows plant growth for manageability, simulates overcast/woodland conditions and is friendlier to possible daylight sallie activities. When you shut the light off at night, it should act minimally to cool the tank, which also simulates natural conditions.

merman is offline   Reply With Quote