The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
blueroses56

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: blueroses56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Normal Coloration for Axolotl? Gravel Ingestion?

I just brought home my first axolotl, a GFP lucy from a local breeder I met through FB. I noticed s/he has a greenish underbelly. Is this normal for a GFP axolotl?

I am concerned because when cleaning her tub today I noticer a small hard stone in her poop. It is bright blue-green and looks to me like aquarium gravel. There is no way I can think of that she could have ingested gravel since I got her. This made me worry that I might be seeing ingested gravel and not normal color.

Additionally, she has some pink marks on her tail. I at first assumed they were normal, but I want to make sure the marks are not from ammonia burn or something like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_002714.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	54304   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_002520.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	54305   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_002649.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	54306  

blueroses56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
ShrimpShepherd

Nationality:
Rep: ShrimpShepherd has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Normal Coloration for Axolotl? Gravel Ingestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroses56 View Post
I just brought home my first axolotl, a GFP lucy from a local breeder I met through FB. I noticed s/he has a greenish underbelly. Is this normal for a GFP axolotl?

I am concerned because when cleaning her tub today I noticer a small hard stone in her poop. It is bright blue-green and looks to me like aquarium gravel. There is no way I can think of that she could have ingested gravel since I got her. This made me worry that I might be seeing ingested gravel and not normal color.

Additionally, she has some pink marks on her tail. I at first assumed they were normal, but I want to make sure the marks are not from ammonia burn or something like that.
Those are the axolotl's intestines, stomach, and other organs.

ShrimpShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Acacia

Nationality:
Rep: Acacia is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on other pictures of GFP axies under regular lighting, the green tinge is normal. However, the gravel may be from whoever previously housed her. I'd just keep an eye on her and see if there's any more- as long as she's eating and passing stool normally I wouldn't worry! I don't know about the pink tail marks, though- best of luck!

Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
blueroses56

Nationality:
Rep: blueroses56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, since then she has passed another 3 pieces of gravel, so it seems likely it was an issue with the previous owner. I will continue to keep an eye on her.

blueroses56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, color, gravel, sick