Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this?

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hello all,

I got sent a few pictures of a newt the other day to identify for someone. I don’t keep many eastern Asian species so have not come across many Paramesotritons before and the photos are not great.

I thought someone on here might be able to identify it for sure, I think it’s an Ridge Back Newt Paramesotriton hongkongensis but I could be completely wrong.

What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC_0388.jpg
    DSC_0388.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC_0386.jpg
    DSC_0386.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 372

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To me, the belly and body colors look unusual for P. hongkongensis. But coloration is never a good indicator. Two features do seem consistent with hongkongensis: relatively smooth skin and ridges behind the eyes.

Considering that there is no way to know exactly where it came from, I'm not sure if it's possible to say with certainty what species it is. At least I can't.

Yahilles

Reaction score
I don't see anything unusual in coloration for this animal to be hongkongensis, mine looked pretty similar. The vertebal ridge is also "correct".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!