Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dwarf frog shedding skin

rachel1

Reaction score
I was trying to record my male dwarf frog singing, and accidentally caught him shedding his skin. Here's the YouTube video. I was impressed how quickly he pulls it off. Pardon my nosy cat please. He just got finished with a busy day of amplexus, and a few minutes after the video he was back at it. Bonus pic of one of his girls just hanging out after lights out. This is the first time I've pulled eggs to try and raise, we'll see if I can keep any tadpoles alive- I hear they have notoriously low survival rates.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,232

AdvythAF

Reaction score
:D Nice video!
Its really active; I have never kept dwarf frogs but sometimes I see them in the pet stores and they are always lying at the bottom, moving very rarely. It is great to see a healthy dwarf frog!

rachel1

Reaction score
They were pretty scrawny when I first got them. I've had them a little over a year now, and they're a lot more active and round than when I first brought them home. They're definitely entertaining little critters- lots of personality!

rachel1

Reaction score
After all the breeding was over, I ended up with one single tadpole successfully hatched, out of 20 or so eggs I pulled out to try. I think the female was inexperienced, as all her eggs were on the bottom, and I pulled one cluster that she expertly deposited on her own leg. I have been feeding it "pond water" that I baste out from around the plants in my Axolotl tank. I see microorganisms swarm off the plants when disturbed, so it seemed like an appropriate food source. It has doubled in size since hatching and seems to be doing well. So far, so good... Here's a pic, next to duckweed for a size reference. These things are rediculously tiny!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 555

rachel1

Reaction score
Here's my little guy again. Still growing well. He eats copepods and baby daphnia now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 440

rachel1

Reaction score
He's got little arm buds now. I'm hopeful he'll make it through metamorphosis. I've added chopped blackworms to his diet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 896

Frogs4ever

Reaction score
Awww, he's so cute! Good luck on raising him! Raising tadpoles is a lot of fun. I haven't gotten any fertilized eggs from mine yet. As for the skin shedding, I've seen mine eat theirs, ew. lol.

rachel1

Reaction score
Thanks! He's looking more frog like every day. It's amazing how quickly he grows!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,142

rachel1

Reaction score
Eggs were laid Fed 5th. It took about 3 days for his egg to hatch, and he just completely lost his tail and finished metamorphosis yesterday. :happy:
Here's a pic I took a couple days ago when his tail started shrinking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 628

rachel1

Reaction score
Wanted to write a summary of how I raised him, as people seem to have a really hard time with them.
Housing: plastic sandwich container floating in parents tank. About 1/2" deep, 78F. I did about 50% water changes daily using water from the parents tank.
Feeding: sprig of live plant, pond water> cyclops > baby daphnia > larger daphnia > blackworms
There was some overlap with food items. i found his appetite really took off at the baby daphnia stage. He would polish off 10-20 a day. Fed twice daily, just topping off the live food items. He had acces to live food 24/7.
He was housed individually, and I know with some species tads secrete chemicals that inhibit growth in nearby siblings. Not sure if this happens in this species, but I feel it's worth noting.
Hopefully someone will find this info helpful.

velasco13000

Reaction score
I have one little guy... He's awesome and always singing.. What's the longest you have had one? What's the life expectancy?

rachel1

Reaction score
I've only had mine a year and a half, so they're all still youngsters- I don't think anyone's over 2 years old, but it's hard to say for sure how old they were when I got them. I've read about 5 years is the usual lifespan, but there seems to be a lot of different numbers out there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!