Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding tiger salamanders worms?

Springlizard

Reaction score
I have tried feeding worms to my two juvinile tiger salamanders but they are very bad at eating them ! I hold the worm in front of their face and they either drop it or grab it and drag it around in the dirt .

Is there any other way I can do this? They have no problem eating crickets , is that a good staple ?

thunder2000

Reaction score
You might want to try reducing the size of the earthworms that you are feeding them. You can chop the worms if you can not find smaller ones. As far as crickets go, they have a reputation of not being nutritionally complete so you might want to continue to try to get the salamanders to eat worms.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can make the crickets nutritionally complete by dusting with multivitamin powder like Repcal or Nutrobal, but most salamanders come round to eating earthworms eventually.

alexps

Reaction score
i always worry about feeding crickets they have been known to bite and can cause injury I always crush the heads of the crickets first.Having said that I feed my tigers earthworms which they love any I feel are a bit big I cut up first

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i always worry about feeding crickets they have been known to bite and can cause injury I always crush the heads of the crickets first.Having said that I feed my tigers earthworms which they love any I feel are a bit big I cut up first

Agreed. With Earthworms, there's none of the biting risk, and in my opinion they are a better, easier food, but if crickets are all you can get hold of for whatever reason there are things to do to minimise risks. Squashing their heads will certainly work, but if you don't, crickets should never be left with the salamander overnight, and you should always make sure there's something for them eat in the salamander's cage like a stick of carrot or sweet potato. That way they should go for the veg instead of nipping at the sals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!