Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is the most long lasting ice packs brand for shipping?

tipnatee

Reaction score
It's hot summer and I have very hard time trying to keep my ice pack cool inside the package that I ship my axolotl with. USPS priority express doesn't do all their express shipping for next day delivery when it comes to some out of the way locations. One day shipping became 2 days and my axolotl suffer for it :mad: ( most of the time they stucked in local office for extra night) I need to find the ice pack that will last longer than a day. Right now I use
ice-brix. By polar tech industries. They are moist control , safe, non-toxic , colder than ice ( that's what they claim) But in this heat summer it's no match no matter how I double my insulation with thick seal styrofoam box , lining with double reflector bubble seal. All taped air tide seal blocked like I'm packing for space travel. 2 days still too long for my ice pack to last :nono: I need to find better ice pack quick please help!!!!!!! :errr:

oceanblue

Reaction score
What you need is bulk ice in a bigger container. You can make your own by freezing water in plastic bottles, filled about 80% full and squashed so there is no air bubble and they do not burst on freezing. You can make the temperature lower by adding salt (or commercially various other chemicals such as iso propanol) but for animal transport I would avoid this as you risk freezing the animal and you do not need low temperatures. The only way to get a longer lasting ice pack is more ice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1