Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander missing hands please help

trueherpnerd

Reaction score
One of my three lined salamanders is missing two of his feet/hands one on the front one on the back I have 4 other salamanders in that tank so I don't know if they could of done it but his wounds healed and he was doing good but now his wounds have reopened back up and its not looking good I trired to add more hyodrogen piroxide but i think I make worse what can I do to save my salamader I have already lost one due to any other wound and is there anything I could do make sure this dosnt happen again

MnGuy

Reaction score
I would separate the wounded salamander into its own tank. If their environments are clean and healthy and they are fed well, they should regrow limbs just fine. I would stop using the hydrogen peroxide and see how it heals on its own. Worked for one of my newts who lost one foot.

I don't think your other salamanders are helping.

Good luck.

trueherpnerd

Reaction score
I did try that with the salamander that died not useing the hydrogen peroxide But I'll I think I'll separate tank thanks for the advice

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1