Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Albino Andrias japonicus

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They look like axolotls. I could find no information on this at any legitimate website. Additionally, Aza zoo has no information on them (although my japanese reading skills are um... bad).

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that it looked to much like a couple of axolotls to be true. I wasn't sure, but I thought I would post it anyway because it seemed like it could be better investigated. :eek: oh well, thanks for checking it out.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
those arent japanese salamanders!!!!! those are axolotls!! they dont even resemble O-San-shouhou/giant japanese salamanders. My friend from japan told me alittle about them and showed me pics of them. Those are axolotls in a small tank with blue gravel......

Jake

Reaction score
The eyes are way too big, the toes are far too long and pointed, the head isn't rounded enough, and it's clearly in a home aquarium (the gravel is way too small, they probably eat it all the time).

The story sounds pretty wild, and almost believable until you see the pictures. I have a few dozen of those albino salamanders chilling in my basement right now there's even a little pic of one under my name.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Yeah. I figured that it wasn't true, but I thought I would let everyone else decide.:eek: Having no idea what a larval A. japonicus looks like, I wasn't sure. The heads looked flat for axolotls, which is also why I wasn't sure (they did seem small though). The fact that the Asa zoo is somewhat known for its salamanders contributed too. It would have been way cool if it had been true though.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They don't look quite like axolotls to me. I'm hoping for an expert opinion.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I think they are are A. japonicus. They don't look like axolotls to me.

grunsven

Reaction score
They are pretty weird for axolotl. But I wouldn't be to happy about finding large numbers of albinos. This indicates inbreeding, not a good thing in an endangered species.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
They are pretty weird for axolotl. But I wouldn't be to happy about finding large numbers of albinos. This indicates inbreeding, not a good thing in an endangered species.

You're probably right but albinos can occur without inbreeding.

grunsven

Reaction score
Environment has got nothig to do with albinism.

I agree that albinism can occur without inbreeding but is much more likely with inbreeding.

snussmak

Reaction score
Environment has got nothig to do with albinism.

I agree that albinism can occur without inbreeding but is much more likely with inbreeding.

well thats how the alboíno strain of the axolotl's are so wide spread, since they all date from a suceeded breeding in the 50's. if two albinos mate and produce offspring there will be a 100% chance of getting albino offspring. since there is so few of the albinos inbreeding is the only choice in order to keep them alive, but that was a long time ago. now there is no need for inbreeding (at least for axolotls) but with genetic tracing we would find out that they all have the same forefather, namely the one from the suceeded breeding during the 50's :)

pete

Reaction score
Neat, I don't think they look too much like axolotls, unless they're sickly ones. There's a number of reasons they could be albino. My guess is random chance, but for all we know one of their Hiroshima ancestors could have been exposed to an unnatural mutagenic radiation source.... I guess then we get into to tales of the fierce Salamanderzilla. 5/30 were albino, if they were from a single cross, then perhaps a lucky cross of heterozygotes, but then again who's an expert at giant salamander genetics? Maybe they're weird tetraploids like Xenopus.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
well thats how the alboíno strain of the axolotl's are so wide spread, since they all date from a suceeded breeding in the 50's. if two albinos mate and produce offspring there will be a 100% chance of getting albino offspring. since there is so few of the albinos inbreeding is the only choice in order to keep them alive, but that was a long time ago. now there is no need for inbreeding (at least for axolotls) but with genetic tracing we would find out that they all have the same forefather, namely the one from the suceeded breeding during the 50's :)

It was the late 1960s and it wasn't exactly a successful breeding. With regard to inbreeding due to albinism, I think you'll find there was a lot less inbreeding than you think. Pet owners are "pro" at inbreeding, unfortunately.

pete said:
My guess is random chance, but for all we know one of their Hiroshima ancestors could have been exposed to an unnatural mutagenic radiation source....
Right... Or maybe Captain Kirk and the Terminator came back in time and did it.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Gee, first I was embarrassed, now I am confused. So there is a chance that it really is true? I didn't think that they looked like axolotls, but when a guy known for his axolotls tells me that they are, I tend to listen. Also I couldn't find anything about them on Asa Zoo's website. I was really discouraged, but now I am really fascinated!:D

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
i think they're poor looking axolotls....living in poor conditions......thats what I think until proven wrong...but it would be cool if those were giant salamanders.........but they resemble poory cared for axolotls I've seen axolotls looking just like that in pet stores

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Man I've been punked!

Seriously though, last I checked, axolotls have 5 toes on their rear feet. That alone should be enough to convince you. If you are still in doubt, the head shape is wrong, the eyes are odd and the tails are wrong, not to mention that the two animals are so close in appearance that it's hard to believe two axolotls would be in the exact same state of health at the exact same time - they'd have curled tails, uneven gills, something.

In short, I'm drinking the cool aid.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
And how dare you doubt axolotl_jake ! :p

Jake

Reaction score
Man I've been punked!

Seriously though, last I checked, axolotls have 5 toes on their rear feet. That alone should be enough to convince you. If you are still in doubt, the head shape is wrong, the eyes are odd and the tails are wrong, not to mention that the two animals are so close in appearance that it's hard to believe two axolotls would be in the exact same state of health at the exact same time - they'd have curled tails, uneven gills, something.

In short, I'm drinking the cool aid.
Ok, I was wrong, but here's my reasoning for thinking the way I did.

The one in the picture on the left looks like it could possibly have five back toes(that rule doesn't always hold true though because mine have had 3-7 fingers/toes, not to mention extra feet), it's not a very clear shot. I looked at those beautiful slender toes and thought it couldn't be a japonicus because every picture I've seen has been of a fat adult with sausage fingers. The head shape may be wrong to be an axolotl, but it looked more like an axolotl to me than like a japonicus, once again every photo was a fat adult with a big wide head. The eyes ARE odd. Adult japonicus have tiny beady eyes that are almost not visible from a distance. The two albino salamanders have huge eyes, even bigger than a normal axolotl's eyes, and they're blue from the looks of the picture. I have some adults axolotls that lack the crest on their back almost entirely, but they're healthy.
And how dare you doubt axolotl_jake ! :p
I guess I need to get my prescription checked!

Does anyone have a picture of a normal larval A.japonicus?(preferrably with the toes in plain view) Are they really that much different looking from the adults?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1