Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Help!!! My FBN has never been "right"!

teena

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Teena and I am new to this forum. I really need some help. My 8 year old son wanted a FBN really bad. So, I got him one and of course it became my responsibility. I am really worried about my newt because he doesn't seem "normal" I had FBN when I was a kid and it grew and was active and went in the water alot. This one is VERY inactive, it hasn't grown at all in the year that we have had it and now there is a white layer of stuff growing on the surface of his water. To give you an idea of his tank I have him in an old hermit crab plastic tank. It has about 2-3 inches of water. it has land and fake plants(that he is ALWAYS hiding in), I recently put a small reptile heating pad under the tank(not sure it warms the water enough) and no filter. Please tell me what I am doing wrong! I am afraid his quality of life is **** and he will eventually die! Thank you so much. Teena

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
hey I would get another one, maybe he/she is lonely, or get a 10 gallon tank(not very expensive), what do you have for ground (gravel,sand, etc)

teena

Reaction score
I have large gravel, and there is also a built inplatform in the tank it can go on. but he just stays in the leaves. do you know what this white stuff forming on the water is?

teena

Reaction score
I had two but one died a few days after i got them, it had a hole in its back.

madeve

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Teena and I am new to this forum. I really need some help. My 8 year old son wanted a FBN really bad. So, I got him one and of course it became my responsibility. I am really worried about my newt because he doesn't seem "normal" I had FBN when I was a kid and it grew and was active and went in the water alot. This one is VERY inactive, it hasn't grown at all in the year that we have had it and now there is a white layer of stuff growing on the surface of his water. To give you an idea of his tank I have him in an old hermit crab plastic tank. It has about 2-3 inches of water. it has land and fake plants(that he is ALWAYS hiding in), I recently put a small reptile heating pad under the tank(not sure it warms the water enough) and no filter. Please tell me what I am doing wrong! I am afraid his quality of life is **** and he will eventually die! Thank you so much. Teena

Hello Teena and welcome to the forum,

I would start with removing the heating pad, newts prefer a cooler temp than reptiles, then I would suggest you get him into a 10 gallon tank with a filter.

Here is an article on cycling a tank to help get you started and another on water quality.

If you need ideas here is an articles with semi-aquatic set-ups.

Do you know whether it's a Chinese or Japanese Fire belly by any chance? Here are links to care sheets for the CFB and JFB.

And just in case you need it, the article on foods to make sure he gets the right nutrition.

I hope this helps you out, if you have any other questions you can use the search function or post a question in the Newt and Salamander help section of the forum.
Good Luck,
Eve.

teena

Reaction score
Thanks Eve, I will try that. I am unsure if it is Japanese or chinese. But does anyone know what the white film on the water is?

madeve

Reaction score
Thanks Eve, I will try that. I am unsure if it is Japanese or chinese. But does anyone know what the white film on the water is?

You're welcome,

I am unsure about the water maybe a picture of your set-up and the newt would help answer the water question and help determine which type of fire-belly it is.

Eve

teena

Reaction score
pics of him didnt come out too good. do you need to see his belly? The cage is also filthy right now from this white junk. i clean it once a week, and this stuff comes right back! It was a solid later but i scooped some ou and it broke up. I am going to just buy him a tank tomorrow, a filter too i guess.
004-1.jpg

madeve

Reaction score
Teena,

I would start over if I were you. Get a nice 10gallon tank (minimum, bigger if you wish) and a filter. I believe the reason your water is so bad is because it needs to be changed more often (since you don't have a filter).
Look at those links I gave you to make a nice appropriate set-up and get your tank cycling. Do not use any type of chemical to speed up cycling, it may take a while but it needs to happen on it's own, make sure to carry out water changes until it's fully cycled and get a water test kit.

I'm not an expert when it comes to fire bellies but with those articles you should be all set.

Eve.

teena

Reaction score
ok...thanks for all your help. I think he is a CFB by looking at the pics in the links you provided. thanks again for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1