Feeder Fish

NewGuy1

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am wanting to start a feeder fish tank comprised of guppies for Starla (tiger salamander) and soon the four golden Axie I have will be able to eat them to. I want them to have something other then pellets and worms that they can eat whenever they want a snack and to make the tank have a little more life in it. I have a 55 gallon tank so once I can put them all together it will be active but I think the feeder fish would be an awesome addition also. All I can find are the male fancy guppies though, is this the type I should feed them? I just dont want to stick the wrong thing in there and have a bad result. I have other fish that will eat guppies also so that is what lead me to wanting and partly needing to start breeding them, I just want to make sure its the right thing.

Your only choices as far as guppies go are the Fancy Guppy and Endler's Guppy/Livebearer. Both are equally good for this purpose.

I'm going to give red cherry shrimp a go for my two golden axies - Honk and Swishy. There are a few threads on this forum that say the RCS are ok. I found a website - google planetinvert - that has heaps of info. I've got a 2nd tank now filled with H2O and going to start the cycling process ready to accept some RCS in a month.

Good luck with your guppies and post some stories on the forum as to how it all goes.

Rgs
Dave

good luck with feeders i cant even get my axolotls to chase down one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back