Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are axolotls legal in Western Australia?

darren79

Reaction score
I've been keeping them since 1981, BUT they are not listed as approved pet herpetofauna
under the Wildlife Conservation (Reptiles and Amphibians) Regulations 2002 or the Pet herpetofauna notice from 2003. ?

ali000

Reaction score
Thought I would reply as no one else has :( you might be better posting in the axolotl section.

I don't really know about Australian law but there are plenty of other here fron Australia so I'm sure you are not breaking the law. :D

darren79

Reaction score
Not everywhere in Australia - they are definitely legal in New South Wales, South Australia and possibly Queensland (they are counted as an 'exempt' pest), but possessing axolotls is definitely illegal in Northern Territory:

www.nt.gov.au/nreta/publications/media/pdf/2005/11/axolotls20051130.pdf

In Tasmania they are Restricted Wildlife (same as all other Caudates and the loveable Cane Toads) - the Tasmanian Wildlife Regulations 1999 theoretically allow permits to keep Restricted Wildlife - what government official would give a permit to keep an animal thrown in with cane toads??

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1