Question: Aussies -> Earth Worms

Just thought I'd post for those Aussies following....

Aldi has worm farms on special this week, starting Thursday I think. I know we don't have Aldi's in every state, but it's worth looking at Similar one at Bunnings was $96 I think this is $69. You will still need to buy the "accesories" and worms though.

I'm very much a newbie. I just dig up an earthworm, wash it under the tap and drop in front of my fella's nose. He'll eat it immediately. Is it OK to do it just like that? Should I be doing anything more to clean the worms first? (If I can only find a big worm, I just give him half). Any advice would be most welcome.

I'm very much a newbie. I just dig up an earthworm, wash it under the tap and drop in front of my fella's nose. He'll eat it immediately. Is it OK to do it just like that? Should I be doing anything more to clean the worms first? (If I can only find a big worm, I just give him half). Any advice would be most welcome.

Richard, what your doing is just fine as long as your garden has no pesticides etc in it then thats great :D

Thanks Zoe. There are no pesticides in the garden. The freshly dug-up earthworms do contain earth though (duh!). Is there any hazard there?

My axolotl is juvenile, so if I do have to cut a big worm, I feed him the portion that does not have the earth inside. Am I doing the right thing or worrying too much please? Like I say, I'm very new to all this and want to do the best for my little guy.

Thanks Zoe. There are no pesticides in the garden. The freshly dug-up earthworms do contain earth though (duh!). Is there any hazard there?

My axolotl is juvenile, so if I do have to cut a big worm, I feed him the portion that does not have the earth inside. Am I doing the right thing or worrying too much please? Like I say, I'm very new to all this and want to do the best for my little guy.

No problem :happy:

I am sure a bit of earth wont hurt but the water will wash most if not all of it off anyway. How do you mean they have earth inside them thats not something I have ever seen I know you can see their insides in some of them which are brown but dont worry about that it will not hurt your axie & we all worry about our axies so please do not worry about questions that is what we are here for and sounds like your axie has a very nice owner who is looking out for him!

If you have any other questions just shout or make a new thread.

Thanks for the reassurance Zoe. I shall stop worrying on that front. I only got my little Jesus a week ago. He is small with no limbs at all and his gills were nibbled down to stumps. At first I thought he was going to die on me, but he's amazing. He eats like a PIG and is more active already. I just hope he grows some limbs back soon. It must be so frustrating for him. The people on this site have been so helpful. I can't tell you how grateful I am to everyone. I only got the axolotl because I felt so sorry for him, but I love him already and think I might become an obsessive!

Thanks for the reassurance Zoe. I shall stop worrying on that front. I only got my little Jesus a week ago. He is small with no limbs at all and his gills were nibbled down to stumps. At first I thought he was going to die on me, but he's amazing. He eats like a PIG and is more active already. I just hope he grows some limbs back soon. It must be so frustrating for him. The people on this site have been so helpful. I can't tell you how grateful I am to everyone. I only got the axolotl because I felt so sorry for him, but I love him already and think I might become an obsessive!

Ah ha have seen that thread your axie is lovely and you have done an amazing thing taking him in!! gkad he is eating well and sure his limbs will grow back soon, my one took 3+ weeks to grow his foot back when I bought him! Glad your enjoying Caudata this forum is great and has helped me out loads aswell! As for obsessive you are in the right place..oh and it wont be just 1 you will get more I promise u!! Good luck!

I know this is a wrapped up thread, but just to add something extra from my own babies' experience: Freddie LOVES earthworms now (And I love jumping when I feed them to her!), and George will occasionally go for them (That and live blackworms). 3 won't touch them, or anything other than bloodworms. Izzie liked the one worm she ate before her gills went south (They're regrowing!!! And they're back to their original pretty colour!!) and has tried a few blackworms. They can be VERY picky, and sometimes you'll end up feeding two or three different things for dinner (Heaven knows what it'll be like when Peter gets home...Or what'll happen if they get exposed to the guppies (but I've got SO attached to them!!) and RCS)

Any fishing shop should have bait worms in small punnets but yes an expensive way to feed.

Not sure if this applies everywhere in oz but... my mum had some deal offered by her local counsil that if she gets her bin emptied only every second week (they put a red lid on it so the driver knows) they gave her a free worm farm! As i said im not sure if it was only her suburb.
Also, i read on here, not sure how long ago, that ALDI had worm farms very cheap. I can't see that they would take a huge amount of effort, all you do is put in vegie scraps (but no onion or citrus) then stir it round once in a while. I think mum can even get liquid fertiliser out a tap in the bottom of hers!

I have my own worm farm, it's environmentally friendly, as above fertilizer on tap and a almost unlimited supply of worms for my axie.

You can get the starter culture of worms from bunnings, better pets and city farmers and such, all you really need is a large tub with some holes drilled in the bottom and a tray underneath to catch the juice.

Just keep them out of the sun and keep them covered, and make sure the tub is off the ground, and keep it moist.

Hey Chris, do you know why my worms would be trying to get up to the top of the lid instead of staying under their blanket where all the food etc is?

There's plenty of food for them and I've been keeping the blanket moist. It's out of the sun. It's the same style as the bunnings one so it's off the ground etc.

Any ideas?

Colinna, Worms are smart for, well worms.

I have read that they can sense changes in air pressure, therefore they usually can tell when rain is on the way, and they head for the surface so they don't drown in heavy downpours. Does this happen in humid weather or when rain is on the way?

Yes, it's been quite humid here lately. I haven't checked them this morning yet. Was about to head out and collect a few for the Axi's.

thanks for your reply!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back