Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. Kaiseri breeding/sexing

JacksonR

Banned
Reaction score
I need to know how to sex Iraninan Kaiser newts. If someone could provide pics of male and female cloaca, that would help.

Also, during winter I should cool the tank to 50 degrees F to induce breeding behavior? Should I cool the water?

Thanks,
Jackson

JacksonR

Banned
Reaction score
I need some help with sexing my Kaiser newts. One I know is a female, the other i'm not sure of. If anyone could provide pictures of male and female cloaca that would help.

Also i've read they don't need a terrestrial period, so this (the first) year i'm just going to cool the water to 50 degrees F to try to induce breeding. Will this work with no land period?

Thanks,
Jackson Roe

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Johnny F added some nice shots of male and female cloacae in his breeding article in this thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...-neurergus-kaiseri-larvae-rearing-report.html

Outside of the breeding season they aren't too easy to sex although females are generally bulkier and males slimmer with a slightly more bulbous cloaca. During the breeding season it becomes very obvious which is which, as you'll see from Johnny's photos.

People have bred them both with and without a terrestrial period. You'll need to cool them during the winter. 50F for a couple of months should do the trick.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I'll speak from experience here. Other than dissection, there is no way to sex them out side of breeding season.

It is not a sure thing, but some females tend to "bulge" a bit more just in front of their hind legs. However, I have females I swear were males and vice versa.

One suggestion I will make too, is that once you know who is who, take pictures of the dorsal view of each animal, and label it with their sex. This will allow you to tell them apart when they are not in season as no two kaiseri are visually alike.

JacksonR

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I have one more question. What months and how long is the cooling period? Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1