Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strauchii and currents?

Molch

Reaction score
I'm curious how much current strauchii keepers provide for their newts. I have mine in a 3-foot long tank (a 37 ga) and the filter is an Eheim 2213, with a wide return outflow and a sponge over the intake pipe. There's quite a bit of current near the surface but less so at the bottom where the newts are, and there are many quiet spots between the rocks.

When I drop a clump of blackworms at one end of the tank, it'll gently travel the length of the tank before settling on the bottom at the other end. The newts seem perfectly happy and comfortable.

Anyways, is there any data that a current or absence of a current has any effect on the probability of breeding? Could too strong a current deter the females from pegging eggs under rocks?

Tim Robin

Reaction score
That seems like plenty of current to me. My adults have an internal whisper filter. Where the water falls from the filter I have a large flat rock that disperses the current. Last year my females would lay eggs right next to that flowing water. The current did not seem to deter them at all. They seemed to be masters of hanging on upside down to lay their eggs!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!