Successful Neurergus Kaiseri breeding

Linus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaiseric
Hello, just wanted to share my successful breeding with Neurergus Kaiseri with the community.

I keep my kaiseri more or less at room temperature year round. The aquatic enclosure is bare bottom and contains stacks of rainbow slate, marimo balls, lots of java moss, elodea and whatever else I can find that won't die in a substrate-less, low light tank.

I never provide artificial lighting unless the plants are looking rough, in which case I'll leave the light on while I go to work.

I was late placing them terrestrially last season, but I took them out of the aquatic enclosure in fall (would've liked for it to have been summer) and placed them in a 5 gallon with coco-fiber/soil, a water dish and 6-7 pieces of corkbark stacked up all over the enclosure. While they're terrestrial they stress me out as they only seldomly come out, only at night, and I can't monitor who is eating, who's not, etc.. but I will offer a terrestrial phase again every year as this is how they live in the wild.

While terrestrial I would leave my windows open during the day in their room and they were exposed to day-time temps of about 40 degrees farenheit for a few months until I placed them aquatic once again. They were already showing signs of maturity by the time I had placed them back in the water, I feel like it was a direct result of the cooler temps.

I referred to any breeding reports I could find on this species, and specifically Johnny Farnen's Breeding report as my bible for my breeding attempt. Ambient temp was about 55f-60f when I put them back in the water. I gave them a floating turtle dock, and slate stacked high with hides provided above and below one inch of water. This lets them enter the water at their own pace. I slowly added about a half gallon of cold dechlorinated tap water every other day for about a week until they were in about 6" of water. Had 3 males tail fanning instantly, but I have 3 others who were still not showing signs of maturity, leaving me with no females in breeding condition.

IMG952216.jpg

( Male in condition )

IMG_20120307_193934.jpg

( Setting up the breeding tank, lots of Elodea added, airline added, more slate stacks added 10 minutes after photo was taken- just haven't got a picture )

Me and Johnny had opposite situations, so I traded him a male in condition for his female in condition and within seconds of introducing the pair into a breeding tank they were already courting. She started laying about 3 days later.

IMG_20120311_210551.jpg

( First eggs )

It looks like I have about 15-20 eggs at the moment and I need to start pulling them out this weekend. It does seem like her egg laying is slowing down, but it's tough to confirm without pulling the currently laid eggs and watching for more. Right now she is resting in her Iran battle tank.

IMG_20120312_145417.jpg

( Johnny's female )

Many thanks to the Caudata community and everyone who has contributed detailed information on the keeping and breeding of this species, specifically Johnny, Alan Cann, and also would like to thank Ed and Jaymes for fielding all of my incessant questions and for the constant advice they share. *phew* I'm done. :kiss:

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just let me know.

Last edited:
Congratulations and good work!

Just found the first egg on my end this morning. Have moved Eric's male into a tank with one of my F1 females as a result. Little dude started fanning for that female right away.

I really dig the tank! What a hysterically functional hide! I would worry a bit about random hunter-killer drone attacks though...

You trust kaiseri with a tank? :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back